PDA

View Full Version : Arc welder with tig attachment

scottyz
01-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey guys. This has been running through my mind a bit. I have a Lincoln IdealArc 250 welder. You can purchase a tig attachment for this welder. Has anybody done a conversion like this? DOes it work good or would I be better off getting a true tig welder?

Camaro Zach
01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. That is how 90% of tig welding in the field is done. The only real drawbacks are not being able to control the heat with your foot (what its set to at the machine is what you get) and you will have to twist the knob on the torch to regulate gas flow. (sounds easy but quite a few people, including myself, have forgotten to turn it on and it'l burn up the tungsten quick requiring a regrind lol) so it's not really a big deal but after you forget to turn it on a few times it'l get annoying. Also to get the arc started you will have to scratch or lightly drag the tungsten along the grounded weldment. (similar to stick welding)

z28orshoot
01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
there is no problem with that setup for general metal tig. just a few things to think about. you will have th get a piece of copper to strike the arc inorder not to contaminate the tungstun and have very little heat control. for more precision work i would get a deticated tig welder.
i have a precision tig 225 and love it. it also has the stick attachment and is good for mild fab work.

just my .02