PDA

View Full Version : Bad Axles?

baz67
11-27-2004, 07:23 PM
I have a few opinions on this and have an idea what the answer is. I just want to be sure before I order new ones not to mention wheels. My digicam is in for repair so I can not post any pics.

What I found on the dissambley of my 9" rear end is that the previous owner spot welded the bearings on the axles. I had the bearings changed, but I got to thinking that the axles could be bad. Where the welds were there is some cuts from grinding them off. There was four welds about a half inch each on each axle.

I am assuming that they are trash for the stress raisers and the loss of the heat treat in the weld area. Is my assumption incorrect?

Brian

shmoov69
12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
I don't know what kind of power or tranny you got, but I would not worry too much about it. Are they 28 or 31 spline? If they're 28's, they will prolly break in the spline area before the ends. Could be wrong, but that is usually where they break. If your new bearings and retainers are on there nice and tight, the wheel won't come off even if the axle breaks. Unless you are going to beating on it pretty hard with slicks and good power (or a stick), I would run them. :fingersx:
But I am a cheapskate also!! :bananna2:
BUUUT, if you want to upgrade anyway, now is the time to do it! I have Moser's in mine now since I broke several stockers at the strip.
my .02!

Norwoodx55
12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Brian, what does your gut tell you. They probably will be fine, but what if. That could do some serious damage to a quarter.(or worse) For me, $225 Mosers would let me sleep at night.
Brett

baz67
12-03-2004, 06:21 AM
OK, I have more people that say trash them. Well for this build at least. They are 31 spline and the new bearings fit fine, but I will put them aside for now. The few hundred extra is safe insurance. I also get the added benifit of narrowing the housing now. Thanks
Brian