PDA

View Full Version : Body work safety question

JoshStratton
01-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi all.

I have my car on a 4 post body cart that I made about 2 years ago. Problem is, the rear is suspended by the bumper/frame holes.

I need to replace that rear metal and need to remove the car from the back part of the cart for a few days so I can access that panel.

Instead of spending 150 bucks for 2x2 steel tubing, i was thinking of stacking some of solid bricks (4x8x16) and putting my jacks on top of them. Do you think this would be increadilby stupid? I realize the wall block is hollow and that would suck, but what if they are solid?

Can you think of any other cheap solutions that might be better?

RobM
01-07-2007, 06:05 PM
cinder blocks have been known to fail in this situation.... i wouldnt do it.

nancejd
01-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I think I'd vote for steel. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about crushing the material, but if it isn't solidly mounted, I'd be worried about the body falling off of it.

CDJr
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Naturally, steel would be best, but I would trust a stand made of 4x4s or 4x6s before the blocks. Positioned correctly, a stand made of 4x4s would be plenty strong enough to hold it.

JoshStratton
01-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok. I have officially been talked out of the blocks :)

The cart I have now is made of 2x2 steel. It was build to be torn down later. I have attached a couple of grainy photos that should give you an idea.

Each side is comprised of two 5-6 foot 2x2's with a 5-7 foot 1.5x1.5 steel rod down the middle for support. After looking at some of the body carts on the web, I am thinking of breaking mine down, eliminating one of the halfs of 2x2s on each side, and centering the cart under the body with full cross mounts. This would allow me to free up the rear bumper holes and the subframe supports. It's not a great picture, but something like this:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Anyone see any issues with this? I know the one I have now is VERY solid and has a bit of a rotissery effect, but I really dont like the accessibility of it. I actually might not be able to free up the subframe points as the front will probably have to be mounted to them, but I think the rear body frame would be a good mounting point...although, there are no bolt holes in them. Crap. Where do you mount something like that?

CDJr
01-08-2007, 08:31 PM
That looks similar to mine, Josh. But I made mine from my rotisserie when I took the car down off of it, and mine arent connected front-to-back. I have a stand under the front and one under the back and theyre independent. I can shoot ya some pics if ya send me an email [email protected]

BonzoHansen
01-08-2007, 08:36 PM
A shell doesn't weigh that much.