PDA

View Full Version : input on quick ratio steering box?

triplecap
01-05-2007, 01:15 AM
The stock steering box in my 63' Belair has a ratio of 22:1. Nice for going down the highway, but it steers about as fast as the queen mary. I've found a few companies that are making aftermarket boxes for my car, but am not sure of what ratio to use. This is primarily a street car that will see some autocross events, but is no longer my daily driver. I should also mention that I still have the OG steering wheel, and I refuse to change it for a smaller and sportier billet one.

My options at the moment are:
AGR 12:1 box
CPP 14:1 box (still in development)
AGR 16/13:1 variable ratio box

Anyone with personal experience with any of the above ratios (or similar) please chime in with your opinion.

Thanks,
Eric

ProBell
01-05-2007, 03:29 AM
I have a 12:1 power box and it works great for both street and track.
Randy

pitts64
01-05-2007, 06:13 AM
I have the AGR 12 to 1 on my 64 Bonneville and it works great.
If you go with the AGR, make sure you bleed it without the pitman arm connected like it says in the instructions.
I tried the AGR 16/13 and didn't like it, too much play.

triplecap
01-05-2007, 05:12 PM
thanks guys, i really appreciate your input. i think the 12:1 box it will be... :drive1:

Roger Poirier
01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I have the AGR box as well. I also bought there high end power steering pump.

R.P.

Rubes
01-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey Eric...let me know how that AGR works for ya. I've been looking at it too. my '61 Impala has the original power steering, and I want to upgrade it when I put the LS1 in it shortly. Does yours currently have PS or manual? Will that AGR box bolt up, or need an adaptor plate? any mods to the steering shaft? I'm pretty sure I'll need to change the centerlink out for a standard manual one.

Skip Fix
01-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I also was wondering what box these are. Does it still use the slave cylinder to the cross link like the factory?

Many places have a 605 box kit. They look kind of cobbled. I ran across a place called Corvette Steering that has a modified mount ofr a 800 series body like most all of the other GM cars used including F bodies.

I've got a 64 Impala SS project also in the wings. Will get one of my 409 motors.

triplecap
01-07-2007, 02:45 AM
I'll call AGR, Flaming River, and Remy Racing Shop this week to find out about other mods required to run these boxes and let you guys know.
Assuming I make a decision and a purchase this month, it may be a while before I can say how the install goes as my car is already under the knife for a trans swap, new rearend and suspension, and I'll be doing a factory tilt-column swap as well.

Eric

Bandit
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
AGR 12:1 is what I got...I like it!
Not to steal your post Eric, but does anybody have a good alternative for replacing the old rag joint? I know Flaming River has the u-joints but is it OK and safe to install them by themselves or do you need a vibration reducer as well?