PDA

View Full Version : HotRod Power Tour Questions

dhardison
11-27-2004, 06:40 AM
I've never gone on the PT, but have some questions for those of you that have.

-How much was the 2004 PT registration fee?
-Did the registration fee include the costs of the hotels (i.e. all inclusive)?
-If not, what were the hotels average cost?
-Did you have to secure your own hotel reservations?
-Was the event run well (did everyone stay together as a group most of the time)?
-Were the cars kept secure at each stop (i.e. overnight stays)?
-If you broke down were you pretty much on your own?
-For a first-timer would you suggest being a 'long hauler' or just do a short section?
-Would you go on the PT again?
-Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks!
Dan

Charley Lillard
11-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Fee was 50.00... Go to www.hotrod.com and find the power tour link. You can make hotel reservations by letting their travel co do it for you or you can go down their hotel list and make your own. Rooms vary from about 70.00 to 250..00. The room prices are posted on their list. If you want to make your own reservations just fill out the online form as if you were gonna use the reservation company and a page will open up that shows the hotels and the rates. You will then need to look up each hotel on the internet to find its phone # to call direct. It is run pretty well and the main group is huge. If you have car problems you will have plenty of folks willing to help. For the most part, the cars are safe. If you have a parking lot with 300 killer cars, what are the odds of them picking on yours ? If you can afford it , do the long haul. Highway gears are a good thing and AC helps also. If you have the time and money to do it I highly recommend it. Take the plunge and you will have a ball. It is a great way to see the country and meet lots of people. By the end of the trip you will be thinking of what to do to your car for next year. It is one huge traveling party-car show.... Get your hotel rooms squared away now. You can cancel them later if you need to.

Nine Ball
11-27-2004, 07:00 AM
-How much was the 2004 PT registration fee?
I can't remember, but I think it was like $50

-Did the registration fee include the costs of the hotels (i.e. all inclusive)?
Registration fee only includes a goodies bag, and the long-hauler award (wall plaque) if you make it that far. You have to sign in at each stop.

-If not, what were the hotels average cost?
$40-80 per night, depending on the city

-Did you have to secure your own hotel reservations?
yes, you do. If you can join up with one of your local clubs that does the Power Tour, they often get group rates and can help you out. I joined the Houston Camaro Club and they had several PT veterans and we reserved the rooms in advance.

-Was the event run well (did everyone stay together as a group most of the time)?
It was run as well is it could be, considering the 1000s of cars. Some of us prefer to leave early to get to the next tour stop to get better parking choices. Our group tends to travel near the front of the pack, and we stop whenever we feel like it to hang out or eat.

-Were the cars kept secure at each stop (i.e. overnight stays)?
Nope. Only as good as the hotel you stay in. Realize that the rest of the parking lot is full of other hotrods too though, so yours won't stick out like a sore thumb. I just used a carcover.

-If you broke down were you pretty much on your own?
no way! Power Tour people are some of the most friendly you will ever meet. Everyone tends to stop and lend a hand or some tools. Saw many cases of that.

-For a first-timer would you suggest being a 'long hauler' or just do a short section?
If you have the time, go for the long haul. It brings a certain amount of pride to accomplish such a cool journey.

-Would you go on the PT again?
hell yes! It was one week of badass cars. Sensory overload, there are so many cars at each stop you don't have time to see them all.

-Any other tips/suggestions?
Just make sure your car is in 100% road-worthy working order. Inspect your tires, belts, hoses, fuel filter, brakes, bearings, etc...

Tony
Long Hauler 2004!

ProdigyCustoms
12-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Not highjacking the post, but I have a important question to add. I would be uncomfortable without a trailor for a sleeping place at night, or for horrible (been through a hail storm, oh my god) weather. Are there chase trailors on the tour. I asked on the Power Tour group and got bitch slapped, but on TV I see plenty of trailors. I find it hard to believe the Mule, or Chicane sit out at night? or am i just a wimp? Also, I would trailor north and drive back anyway. I just saw a show where Christopher Titus trailored his, bet they did not give him and grief?

dhardison
12-02-2004, 04:20 AM
What's the URL for the Power Tour group? For a car like yours (assuming it looks like the Camaro in your sig) I too would be worried about it at night and with inclement weather. With my car, not so much... ;-)

Thanks for the replies/info guys!

Dan

camcojb
12-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Not highjacking the post, but I have a important question to add. I would be uncomfortable without a trailor for a sleeping place at night, or for horrible (been through a hail storm, oh my god) weather. Are there chase trailors on the tour. I asked on the Power Tour group and got bitch slapped, but on TV I see plenty of trailors. I find it hard to believe the Mule, or Chicane sit out at night? or am i just a wimp? Also, I would trailor north and drive back anyway. I just saw a show where Christopher Titus trailored his, bet they did not give him and grief?

The Mule sat out all night in the parking lots, not even a car cover. Nobody bothered it.

Jody

ProdigyCustoms
12-02-2004, 08:56 PM
that's it, I have offically graduated to wimp statues.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hotrodpowertourclub/

camcojb
12-02-2004, 09:10 PM
that's it, I have offically graduated to wimp statues.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hotrodpowertourclub/

LOL!!!! I had the same concerns and spoke with Charley about. What I wrote is what he said, so I'll be doing the same thing next year on the Tour, just leaving it in the lot.

Jody

Charley Lillard
12-04-2004, 06:57 AM
There are chase trailers out there but most cars are just parked outside. Mule sat out every night. I brought a car cover but never used it. Imagine a parking lot with 100 killer cars and yours is mixed in with them. What are the odds of a problem ? One year in the Red Witch we had a hail storm warning in I think Tulsa. Everyone was looking for covered parking around the hotel. We nosed in under a tree, went to K-mart, bought 3 of those 99 cent air mattresses and laid them over the car under a car cover. Rianed like hell but never hailed. Had a big wet car cover for the rest of the trip. All part of the adventure...