PDA

View Full Version : Paint for rearend

McGuire
11-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi all, I was just wondering if someone could suggest the proper primer and paint for the new 12 bolt going in my 69 Camaro. Is there any reason to use high heat paint? It will be black, just not sure on the type of paint. Great site, just found it!!

Thanks,
McGuire

MrQuick
11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
If your car is for show than primer is ok. I have found that it makes the paint more prone to cracking and flaking off. If you get any kinda chemical on it forget it.
If I don't powder coat them I just get it real clean by blasting it ( I strip em down then mask real good) wipe it down with grease/ silicon remover then spray it engine enamel. 2 medium coats.
I like to use Dupli-color brand it doesn't check when doing touch up. If you like a glossy coat heat up the assembly ALITTLE with a torch BEFORE painting. Not cherry red, just warm say 80 - 100 degrees.
Oh welcome to the site.

McGuire
11-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Sounds great Mr. Quick, thats exactly what I needed. You da man!!

Thanks

RobM
11-28-2004, 03:05 PM
i like por15 for that kind of stuff hard as nails almost powder coat type finish. plus the stuff sticks to any thing and it nice and glossy

73novaguy
11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
I am on the waggon with RobM! I used clear coat POR 15 on my 12 bolt from Mosier. I think it is called Glisten PC. It is used for coating aluminum and higher polished metals. So I went through and polished (not to a shine but just smoothed out the metal) the 12 bolt and used the POR 15. It is nice cause you can just mask off what you want and brush the stuff on! I geuss I have heard good reviews about it, so I went for it. I also liked the fact that this stuff doesn't crack or chip or peel. So those occassional rocks don't screw up the whole painting of the rear end. I used the clear because black was to common for my tastes and I wanted to show off the newness (is that a word? haha) of it. But POR 15 also has black that they use for frames that would work great! Good Luck in whatever method you choose McGuire!!!!!