PDA

View Full Version : Cheap mini tub???/question on brake setup.

CamaroJesse
12-31-2006, 03:31 PM
id like to mini tub my 68 camaro by the time the weather starts getting nice but the DSE mini tub kit is a bit pricey for me at $1320. is there another way i can bring the cost down to under $1000? any other companys that sell kits? or should i buy everything seperatly?

also i was wondering if anyone knows about the C5 brake kit from touring classics. i was thinking about their ATS "AFX" spindle with the c5 brakes. if anyone knows about these how do they work?

thanks
Jesse

jsconiers
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
mini tube is $399 isn't it?

CamaroJesse
12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
from DSE its 1320. tubs, leaf springs, all hardaware.

DarkoNova
12-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Don't forget you'll need to narrow your gas tank or buy a narrowed one from them. If you don't have the skills or a shop handy to do the stock one, be prepared to dish out another $600-ish.

Matt

mike a
12-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Dont forget rear mini tub shocks at $105 each.

mike a

CamaroJesse
01-01-2007, 12:35 AM
i have a fuel cell for now so im not worried about the tank till later on. am i best off just buyin the DSE mini tub kit? and does anyone know about those brakes?

thanks
Jesse

Tucks69
01-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Look in the brake section. Do a search on C5 brakes. There are alot of posts about Touring Classics and Kore 3. I just pieced together a kit for the front of my 68 Camaro. I bought a partial kit on this forum from a member. I scouted the rest of the pieces. Ihave the c5 hybid setup. Just finished the conversion, still have to put the master cylinder on. I plan on the C5 kit for the rear also. Maybe I will have it complete in a couple weeks, then I will share how it works. The adapter brackets fit perfectly.

Mike

Bigblue73
01-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Jesse - Are your stock tubs is good shape? Do what the ol' pro street guys used to do. Section them and add about 4 inches. Rolled strips should run you about 65.00 at any sheetmetal shop. If you capable at welding, the tubbing part is a nice weekend of getting dirty. As far as the rear end. DSE has the really nice brackets for the leaf spring mounts. Shocks, spring perches and other stuff. DSE is one of the best one stop place for the set-up for your car. Other than that, race car fabrications, speedway and a few others come to mind.

USAZR1
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Don't forget you'll need to narrow your gas tank or buy a narrowed one from them. If you don't have the skills or a shop handy to do the stock one, be prepared to dish out another $600-ish.
Matt

My best friend has a 69 SS Camaro and wants to install the DSE mini-tub kit. He's under the impression the gas tank doesn't require narrowing. Could you explain why it does?
Thanks

bretcopsey
01-02-2007, 12:36 PM
My best friend has a 69 SS Camaro and wants to install the DSE mini-tub kit. He's under the impression the gas tank doesn't require narrowing. Could you explain why it does?
Thanks

The mini tub itself doesn't require fuel tank narrrowing. However, once the tubs are widened, the leaf springs become the limiting factor for tire clearance. In order to move the leafs inboard, you must narrow the tank. Of course, if you're not using leafs, it's not necessary.

B Schein
01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Before DSE offered their deep tubes we would just cut the stock ones in half and widen them 3 inches. The are a lot of car around that were done this way go to the DSE site and look a Ray Thompson car there are pictures there of how this is done. If your original tubes are in good shape it will only cost you a few dollars in sheet metal and around 30-40 hours depending on the shape of the car, This is for and experienced sheet metal guy if you don’t have any experienced I would double the labor time and add 20% and that should get you in the ball park.

I mini tubed a car for a guy who all he could afford at the time was just the tubes them self. So that’s all we did a few months later I narrowed a stock replacement tank for him, and as he could afford the new parts we kept adding them until it was done

USAZR1
01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
The mini tub itself doesn't require fuel tank narrrowing. However, once the tubs are widened, the leaf springs become the limiting factor for tire clearance. In order to move the leafs inboard, you must narrow the tank. Of course, if you're not using leafs, it's not necessary.

I thought DSE's kit moved the shocks inboard for more tire clearance? The leaf springs have to be moved inboard,too?

bretcopsey
01-03-2007, 05:20 AM
I thought DSE's kit moved the shocks inboard for more tire clearance? The leaf springs have to be moved inboard,too?

Unfortunatey, if you want to utilize all of the space provided for by the mini tubs you need to relocate the rear of the leaf springs. That is what the offset shackles are for. The front mount of the leafs stays put.