PDA

View Full Version : more whoas - dist f***d up? Recommendations

bingham72
12-29-2006, 07:31 AM
So my brother and parents spent Christmas getting my car fixed for me. and on Christmas day it ran like a scalded cat. I was so excited. Wed I went to start the car and it started fine, started to let it idle and it died. Now it won't start again. the engine is flooded.
The car has a new carb, and doesn't appear to be flooding from the carb. I think it has to be the distributor grounding out somewhere or something. So I am in the market for a new distributor.

I have a 350 chevy in a 72 Corvette. I'd like to keep the tach drive, but MSD is the only ones who make an aftermarket on that I can find. But I'd also have to buy the MSD unit.
Does anyone know of a distributor with a tach drive that doesn't require and MSD box?

Has anyone used the Pertronix plug and play dist? or should I just bite the bullet and get a whole MSD setup, 6AL and Billet Dist with a tach drive?

Thanks in advance.

eville
12-29-2006, 07:39 AM
MSD Ready to Run 8360 Dist. with a Blaster 2 Coil. Wire your tach to the coil.

bingham72
12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
MSD Ready to Run 8360 Dist. with a Blaster 2 Coil. Wire your tach to the coil.

thanks, I'll take a look. Unfortunately, the tach is a cable driven unit. guess I'll get a Autometer unit for now.

PARKERRS
01-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Davis Unified Ignition in Memphis now has an HEI unit with mech. tach drive. They are the makers of DUI distributors, dyna modules for HEI, among other things. They will custom build and curve the unit to your engine and driveline specs. I just ordered one of their street/strip units, cost was $269.00. When you call you will need to know Cu. In., compression ratio, cam specs. for lift and duration at .050 along with lobe seperation,carb, trans., stall if its an automatic, and gear ratio and tire size. I checked their website and the mech. tach drive unit is over $500, so I guess it depends on what you want to spend , or if it's cheaper to change your tach.

bingham72
03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I ended up bitting the bullett and buying a 6AL and MSD tach drive distributor. I pulled the old tach out and compared the play in the shaft to the new MSD unit. The comparison is unimaginable. The new dist is tight and does not spin freely. The old dist. wiggles and spins very free. That must have been an issue. I've got the new dist in the engine and fabbed up a mount for the 6AL box. Now I've got to run the wires for the box and redo the plug wires for the MSD dist. cap. It hurt to have to pay all those dollars, but I think I will be much happier in the long run.

L n L
03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
If you have any other problems, check out www.davessmallbodyheis.com Dave is a BIG help on things like this.

Lee

bingham72
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
If you have any other problems, check out www.davessmallbodyheis.com (http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com) Dave is a BIG help on things like this.

Lee
DANG!!! :pat: I wish I'd seen this sooner. Oh well, the more i look at it, the old dist is crap and would probably need more work than just a conversion.
Thanks for the info.

L n L
03-08-2007, 05:49 AM
That is the beauty of Dave's work, he doesn't JUST convert it! He totally rebuilds it, and can set the curve however you may want it as well - at about half the cost of the MSD......

Get in touch with Dave, and consider sending the MSD back....

Did I mention his lifetime warranty?? :-)

Lee