PDA

View Full Version : LT1 2nd Gen Headers

barno68
12-28-2006, 06:12 AM
I have been wrestling with this issue since I bought a pair of PaceSetter headers for my '71. I really like the header, but tried to install and found that the later model Camaro must have a narrower sub-frame. I have tried to heat and bend the headers a few inched behind the collector, but no luck. I need to move them inward about 1/2" on each side.

I have thought about cutting off the collectors, bending the pipes, and then replacing with slip on Dynatech collectors, but seems simplier to sell these and buy another pair. Without breaking the bank, who makes a quality header (with O2 bung) for the LT1 conversion?

Thanks,

Brent

Samckitt
12-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Why not just buy a set of headers to fit your car & add the O2 bung(s)? That is what I did. The LT1 exhaust flange is the same as a standard small block, except I believe they are .100" higher ports. I bought a set of Hooker full length headers for an 86 Monte SS & added the O2 fittings. I bought them on ebay.

barno68
12-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Why not just buy a set of headers to fit your car & add the O2 bung(s)? That is what I did. The LT1 exhaust flange is the same as a standard small block, except I believe they are .100" higher ports. I bought a set of Hooker full length headers for an 86 Monte SS & added the O2 fittings. I bought them on ebay.

The LT1 heads have D shaped exhaust ports while the 2nd gen had square ports. So, can't buy the headers to fit the car. I went the opposite route and bought headers to fit the engine, not the car. Didn't seem to fair any better! I am thinking about going the cheap route and hitting the salvage yard for a pair of camaro manifolds just to get me by. I have the corvette manifolds that came with it, but they dump on the crossmember.

Samckitt
12-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Will the 2nd gen headers not seal with the D port heads? I didn't have a problem with mine. Were the LT1 headers D shaped? You could also try headers for a Vette from about 87. They were D shaped exhaust ports back then.

barno68
12-29-2006, 05:18 AM
The vette headers are block huggers and won't fit. I am going to get a stock header gasket and take a look at how it lines up to see if the oval port headers will work.

I went ahead and sold my current set of headers last night and have been looking at stainless steel headers on ebay, but most won't work with angled plugs... if it is not one thing...its another!

Thanks for the help.

Samckitt
12-29-2006, 06:53 AM
How about Schoenfled headers? Go here: http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/cratepage.htm

And scroll down to STREET STOCK

1972 - 1987 Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, Olds Cutlass,
Buick Regal. Also Camaro, 70 - 81
Can use solid side and rear mounts. Fits straight or angle plug heads.
Will not clear stock manual clutch linkage ball located behind the #7 cylinder.
Will not fit with some mini starters. Will not fit some kick-out oil pans. Must use short oil filter.

WS6
12-29-2006, 06:04 PM
a 1-3/4 primary header should work. It only needs to cover the exhaust port not be the same shape. Have you physically tried putting headers for a 2nd gen with a SBC onto the engine?

The ZZ4 engine has angle plug heads and I have used regular SBC headers for a 65 vette, which is what the engine was going in, no problem. Those were Headman headers. I have also used Hooker super comps on a 76 vette with edlebrock heads. Those are angle plug heads. Unfortunately I can't recall if the factory heads were straight or not.

PARKERRS
01-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I had a set made by a company called Stan's Headers in Washington state. They used a d-port flange 3/8 thick and are try-y design, cost was around $450 uncoated. Put them on a GMPP fast burn 385 which has similar exhaust ports, D shaped and slightly higher than standard small block. Engine is in a '73 Camaro, good clearance everywhere, great ground clearance, And they use ball and socket type collectors. The primaries are 1 5/8" and the collectors are 2 1/2". Just google Stan's headers.

molyorange 77
01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
The schoenfeld 165vacm which is what i have and it has D-port flanges and ground clearance is great, real close to the floor pan But I would rather have that than drag the street. I dont remember who I talked to but he was very helpful.

barno68
01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I picked up a set of mid-length that I bolted up last night, perfect fit and tons of room around the plugs. No issue with the ports, just needed to push the header up while bolting to give more seating surface on the bottom.

Thanks for the help guys.

Brent