PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!!

TMat
12-27-2006, 07:04 AM
I have a brake problem and am at my wit's end. Here's the situation:
1. 69 camaro
2. New LS1 calipers, rotors, braided flex lines.
3. New 15/16 manual master cylinder.
4. New metering block
5. I have no leaks

The problem is after I bleed the brakes, I will roll the car 50 feet and the pedal will go almost to the floor. If I then pump the pedal, the pedal gets firm. I have no leaks, everything is new. Why am I having this problem?

Is the master cylinder size wrong? Should it be 1"?

I need serious help, I don't know what else to do.

Thank you in advance for all help.

rocketrod
12-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Did you bleed the master cylinder?

TMat
12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, Master Cylinder is bled.

The car originally had rear drum brakes, do I need a different residual pressure valve in the rear line?

TMat
12-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Anybody? I have tried everything I can think of, I have bled the system numerous times. After bleeding the pedal feels firm, but if I move the car 50 feet the pedal goes to the floor. I can then pump the pedal and it becomes firm.

I have found and fixed all leaks and re-bled the system.:hmm:

6'9"Witha69
12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Residual pressure valve is needed. There are different requirements for disc and drum applications. 10 psi is for Drums and 2 psi is for Discs.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=Residual+pressure&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=+115

Do you have a prop valve in the rear lines?

TMat
12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I have a metering block which came with the disc/disc master cylinder, installed. Do you think it could just be the residual pressure valve?

thanks for the help!

6'9"Witha69
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I had a problem going from a power Disc/Drum setup to a manual disc/disc. Same problem as you stated above. In fact, if the car sat for more than a few minutes it lost pedal. I installed the valve, bled it again, let it sit for a couple days and the brakes were still right up!!

FYI, disc disc blocks are not metering blocks as they are on Disc/drum applications, they are simply a distribution block. Disc/drum setups use a metering setup in the block accompanied by a hold off valve in line to the rear brakes. Disc setups simply need to distribute and not meter. This is why prop vales are used with dist blocks.

\short answer.

TMat
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
this residual pressure valve is located in the rear line just below the drivers door correct? It's not part of the master cylinder.

Or can I replace the res. press valve with a proportioning valve?

Thanks a lot for your help. This problem has been bugging me for months.

quadfather
12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
i would check to see if you have a rotor runout issue, or if the caliper mounts are flexing when you apply the brakes . it sounds like the pistons may be getting pushed back in when you roll it.

Karch
12-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Try a different m/c. It sounds like the m/c is allowing fluid past the first seal. Is it wet behind the m/c if you pull it off?

TMat
01-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I discovered what the name of the valve is located on the underside of the floorpan on the drivers side frame rail. It is called a disc brake correction valve or hold-off valve (www.inlinetube.com) in the proportioning valve section. Does anyone know if I need to keep this with a 4 wheel disc master cylinder or can I eliminate it all together and run a 1 piece brake line from the master to the rear axle?

This valve is the only thing I can think of that might be causing my problem. Everything elese checks out OK.

scottyz
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I am also having a similar problem with a 89 LX mustang. Changed to larger piston front calipers and rear disc brake conversion. Pump up the pedal nice and hard. Let off for 5 seconds and the pedal will drop. If you pump it up and hold it the pressure does not seem to leak past but once you let off for 5 seconds the pedal will drop again. Will this residual pressure valve stop this pedal drop?