PDA

View Full Version : New Car *Pics Soon*

Pzary3233
11-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Hey guys,

Well I have another car...

:bananna2:

It's a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite mkII. I know, I know a british car...

it was free so how could I pass it up??

I've got some ideas for it... such as a 327sbc and a 4 or 5 speed depending on what can fit in the car without taking up too much driver leg room(hardly any to start with!!!).

First however I need to get this thing going... It does have a 1275cc motor with a 4 speed in it at the moment. For healey guys that is a BIG motor for the car...

The Hyd. system on the car is shot.. the master cyl was shared with the clutch slave and the brake system. The clutch slave cyl had a line coming out from the master cyl and the brake system has one(!) line coming out of it which went to a junction box on the left fender... I was wondering if I could use 7/8" (same bore size as the original) bore master cylinders to get rid of this master cyl that is VERY expensive as well as an aftermarket pedal set up? even a tilton dual pedal dual master cyl set up with fab work is less than buying a reman master cyl for the car. What do you guys think? Later down the road I WILL replace the horrid 4 wheel drums and one(!) brake line from the master cyl with a dual set up but for now I need this thing to run and drive so that I can see exactly what I go my self into... :)

I posted this here because it's not a PT car nor an american car... but you guys know about performance and brakes that applies to all cars...

Thanks!
Paul Z.

PS on PT related news: I have a 428 crank and a 400 short block so I can start taking parts to the machine shop so that I can be on my way to building my new small journal pontiac 428!! :3gears:

Ralph LoGrasso
11-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Hey Paul,

Congrats on the new ride! Free, huh?

Ya ever hear the lame old joke? "There once was a young man from Boston, had himself a nifty little Austin, it had room for his ass and a gallon of gas but his b*lls hung out and he lost 'em." Gotta love the 4th grade jokes.

Smoke'm
11-25-2004, 08:00 AM
ummm...before you cut the car up check the value on them I think they are worth a few bucks if complete and fairly decent...at least they used to be... some shop up here was selling them as fast as he could get them done for like 30K..10 years ago

Pzary3233
11-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Ralph,

Have not heard that one but it's VERY true!!!

Smoke,

As for the value of the car... it's not worth much... maybe 1500 at the most if I parted it out. I will not be cutting the car everything will be bolt on. I did some mesurements and I realized that I can fit the SBC in there with out modification. the trans tunnel might need to be persuaded. As for the brake system... the master cyl that I took out left a "well" per se for a new set up... I would fab a new piece to bolt in there with the pedal assemby.

Thanks guys!

Piet
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Is that the "bug-eyed" model?... I do not see why an import cannot be a Pro-Touring machine.....

"bug-eyed"
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Not "bug-eyed"
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MrQuick
11-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Way to go Paul, Way cool cars if build nice. I put one together 7 years ago and I still dream of it. 400hp 350 4 speed...man that car was fun. As far as worth, they aren't around like they use to be so I think demand is still high. A nice one sold for 42k at Barrett Jacksons. keep us updated please!

Pzary3233
11-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Yeah it's the "bugeye" sprite and actually the same color.... very small little car... Ralph's joke is right on!

So I am tracing though the electrical stuff right now to get the 1275 motor running so that I can have a starting point... then dive into the FUN aspects of it with a SBC and a 4 speed...

As for this specific car the motor is not original nor is the tranny so it would not be worth as much and I see it like I do my Firebird. If I am going to drive it, I want to have it done my way. I can always go back to original if I want to...

Any ideas on the master cyl or should I just post in the brake forum?

Thanks Guys!