PDA

View Full Version : A1000 fuel pump question

Rolling_Thunder
12-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I have a question about the Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump... how much suction is there on the feed side ? I am planning on using my factory tank with a factory style pickup.... I am just curious if the A1000 has enough suction to get the fuel out of the tank....

ProdigyCustoms
12-27-2006, 05:20 AM
I am sure it will have penty of suction. The question will be are you limited by the small pick up tube in the tank? It would seem anything needing a A1000 pump, has some horsepower, which the small pick up tube will make fuel delivery like breathing underwater through a straw!

camcojb
12-27-2006, 07:47 AM
I always use a #10 an inlet with that pump as that is what they recommend. I really avoid restricting the inlet of a big EFI pump (or any electric pump for that matter), and that pump comes with #10 inlet/outlet. No problem dropping to #8 on the pressure side.

As Frank said, that's a pretty big pump for a fair amount of HP, so I would either swap to a smaller pump or a larger inlet tube.

Jody

EFI69Cam
12-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Keep in mind that the suction side is where the vapor lock from fuel heating is going to take its toll.
I too would go #10, and some kind of pump controller to slow it down at cruise.

Rolling_Thunder
12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
oh - I understand the pickup tube will need to be larger... I am going with -10AN... I have done this on a 69 Charger before but it was a 1/2" line with a mechanical pump for a carb... So i just wasnt sure if the pump would have enough suction... general input seem to be positive

Z-man
12-27-2006, 01:36 PM
As their instructions indicate, you will want to locate the pump near the tank and below it or at least lower than the gasoline in the tank.

ASSC Racing
12-27-2006, 02:19 PM
We have had some cars come in here with the A1000 that have had suction problems. Depending on the situation, being mounted too high or just a lack of suction. The best results we have found have been with the Magnafuel ProTuner Series pumps. They are capable of suction up to 2 ft from liquid level. On more than one instance we swapped out the A1000 to a Protuner and were able to empty the tank rather than refill at about 3/8 of a tank. Any Questions, just give us a call.

Joe Oplawski
ASSC Racing
asscracing.com

Olav
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi!

Got this mail from Aeromotive regarding high mount pump:

Yes, though it's discouraged because the higher the vacuum required to pull
fuel, the more likely the fuel is to change to vapor, promoting cavitation
and possible vapor lock. Another reason to get it as low as possible would
be to prevent the fuel from draining back into the tank when the pump is
off, preventing repeated dry start-ups. A one way check valve, P/N 15107,
installed on the fuel pump OUTlet port would be one way to prevent dry start
ups when the pump is high. Also, with a high mount, make sure that you use
the largest recommended line size between the pump and the fuel, and if any
pre-filter is used, make sure it's a 12304 filter from Aeromotive! Have
fun!

Hope this helps....
Olav

Rolling_Thunder
01-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys

DeltaT
01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
I have the A1000 pump basically right above the fuel cell (maybe plus 1.5") and it primes just fine. I do have the pre-filter as well, but no check valve. I like the idea of the check valve because I suspect that every day's first start of the day is a dry start.

I am also running the -10 inlet and outlet all they way up to near the front of the car to a Y-block then to 2 -8 lines from there on.

Great performance so far, but I'm only at 501rwhp so far.

Jim

Jim Craig
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
How will a check valve on the outlet side of the fuel pump prevent a "dry start" condition? If the pump is placed higher than the tank, won't the fuel that is inside of it (and the line) drain back into the tank resulting in a "dry" pump.

Twin_Turbo
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
It will keep the fuel from draining back to the tank (no communicating vessels if you mount it higher than liq. level), like sucking on a strw in your drink and then keeping a finger on the end keeps the fluid in the straw. You can get the -10 sized full flow check valve from sx fuel (that's where I got mine, don't know if aeromotive also has one..they probably do)

The best way to mount it is something like this (I know the sump is on backwards but that's the only way it'll fit without interfering with reinstalling the tank)