View Full Version : Vintage Air

12-24-2006, 07:55 AM
I just bought a 1946 Chevy Truck that has Vintage Air. I can only find two controls. One is on the dash that controls the air volume or speed. The other is a pull knob in the glove box, and I'm unsure what it does. Other than those I can find no other! Something must be missing? How can you control the temp or divert air to the defroster?

I guess I'll have to call Vintage Air!

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

12-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I would think the tech sheet and the unit is on there web site .

12-24-2006, 09:24 AM
First, I want to make sure you have an air conditioning system and not just a heater. If it has a compressor hooked up, that's solved.

The pull knob is probably a heater control valve. Pull to turn on heat. There should still be two more controls, the mode switch and the thermostat. Sometimes the thermostat is attached to the main evaporator case. You should be able to find a rotary knob accessable from below the dash. There should be a mode switch somewhere. Some people do a good job of hiding the controls, or a poor job of installing the system.

If you post a few photos from under the dash, the controls you did find, and under the hood, I'll try to help you more. Otherwise, just call up VA on Wednesday.


12-28-2006, 03:54 PM
After talking to the builder of my truck, he now thinks it might have been a Southern Air Unit instead of Vintage installed in my 46 Chevy. How can you tell?

Does anyone one know Southern Air's Website?

Is there that much difference in units? All seem to use a Sanden Compressor.


Bad Bowtie
12-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Here is Southern's link.
Look at the heating and cooling link.

I have used their universal kit in a 66 nova I built before Vintage Air had their kit available. Their system worked great and it was an a/c and heat unit. I have since viewed the vintage air system for the novas and they look very similiar in appearance. Hope the link is what you were looking for.