PDA

View Full Version : car stalkers - watch out

indyjps
11-24-2004, 12:54 PM
this all started innocently enough, i had some home improvement projects to do so i rolled my 69 camaro out into the driveway, hey its got all the windows, is should be fine for a few days, just to be sure i threw a chain thru the wheel and over the axle with a padlock.
the first day i had 5 people stop buy and inquire about the car, which is understandable i do the same thing. so i wrote on the windshield in white shoe polish that i still had in the car from its strip days "NOT FOR SALE DO NOT INQUIRE", clear enough. well not for some.
a guy who ill refer to as dikk (to protect his name) for the rest of this thread was one of the first to stop by and ask about the car. the shoe polish obviously did not deter him because he stopped by a second time and asked about selling the car explaining to me that it really shouldnt be neglected as i have so thoughtlessly done. after telling him im the one whos paid to keep it dry storage of some kind for 7 years, not to worry the car is in good hands and the situation is temporary.
so dikk gets a great idea to stop by when im not there and ask my girlfriend if she can convince me to sell the car and he'd pay her a finders fee of $100 is she can get me to sell it.
now im really getting annoyed with this guy, anyone offering my girlfriend cash for anything, particularly for something that goes behind my back is serious business, thats on top of him ignoring that the car is not for sale.
so everything dies down and we decide the guy is just overly anxious, the car is inside and sign of dikk.
today several months later dikk rings my doorbell. he's got about 50 pages of what looks like every non running 69 camaro thats sold on ebay in the last couple of months and a spreadsheet listing them. along with his compiled information he gives me a list of what my car needs in his opinion and its approximate value of $2600. so i go along with dikk for a few minutes to reward him for all of his hard work in doing the research, also because i need a break from yet another home project and im frankly a little curious by now what kind of nutcase im dealing with. in his sales pitch he shows me that he has brought with him a certified check for the $2600 and says he can have a trailer @ my house within the hour. as he keeps talking he gets to the good part of how hes buying my car to save the car from its ultimate demise of being in my ownership.
thats it. i calmly ask him to leave and never return to my property or ill call the cops. i guess this offends dikk because he gets all redfaced and starts yelling @ how i dont have a right to own this car because its from his generation and my generation ( i'm 28) is destroying everything sacred that the muscle car stands for.
the third time i tell him to get the f*** off my property, i start walking towards him, until i get about two feet away. dikk chimes up that i need to back off or he'll call his friend (the police chief) to mediate the sale of this car. so i just keep walking and as he's back pedaling across my front yard he keeps talking about the demise of the car and how he'll just pick it up from the junkyard when i destroy it. he jumps in his car and yells out the window that ill be hearing from the "police chief". i placed my own call to the police after his departure with his license plate # and vehicle description in case there is another incident and calmed down enough to pick up all the printouts of ebay auctions that he threw in the air as i was walking towards him. now im too p/off to finish the bathroom i was working on.
what is with people, i hope the "new camaro" bodies come out soon so everyone can go buy one and ill be left @ peace to destroy my own car as i see fit. just wanted to offer fair warning to anyone that has a musclecar that dikk doesnt approve of it. if you do own one keep it in the garage, black out the windows and dont tell anyone.

nancejd
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
You should have just told him that it was too late, you had it crushed just yesterday! :comp3:

David Pozzi
11-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Tell him your girlfriend talked you into selling it to some guy who just stopped by. :)

ProdigyCustoms
11-24-2004, 01:57 PM
so dikk gets a great idea to stop by when im not there and ask my girlfriend if she can convince me to sell the car and he'd pay her a finders fee of $100 is she can get me to sell it.
now im really getting annoyed with this guy, anyone offering my girlfriend cash for anything, particularly for something that goes behind my back is serious business, thats on top of him ignoring that the car is not for sale.

Well, You might hate this story, but, 10 years ago, a good customer (Tony) mine called me about a real 1 of 54 1967 Yenko Camaro he was aware of. Tony went on to explain he knew of the car back in the day, and turns out rumor is the car was still in town. Tony had stopped by to inquire about the car and found the car in the garage with stuff piled on it, complete, but not run in years needing total restoration. The guy that owned it was real nice, showed him the car, but said it was not for sale!
Tony left, called me and asked what I thought he should do, and what could it be worth. I told him I thought it was $100k + car (10 years ago). Turns out it has original window sticker, bill of sale, is super loaded, probably most expensive one built and probably the advertisment car, and as the story goes, this car was built for Don Yenko's daughter, but he decided not to give it to her after driving it. Hey, I didn't make up the story, just relaying the story as it has been passed through the years.
I told Tony that since it was so valuable, to offer him $25k for it. Tony struggled with offering that much, but decided he would pay that as he really wanted it to complete his collection. He made a verbal $25K offer and the guy turned it down flat. He was nice about it, just said politely, NO!
I quizzed Tony about the owner, What did the owner do? What kind of house (value)? What kind of other cars? Etc. Tony told me it was a 30 year old cop, $100,000 house, and a couple 3 year old driver type cars. Tony did not think they had much money. I asked if he was married, he said yes and even commented the wife was drop dead gorgeous. DING! PERFECT!!
I devised a plan with Tony to get $25K in 20s (so it would look like a lot of money) in a briefcase, spread it out to cover the briefcase and go to the house and ask to speak with him and his wife. Tony was real reluctant, but also excited and scared all at once. He told the guy when he answered the door he wanted to ask the wife if she would sell his car. The cop laughed and said, go for it.
Tony opened the briefcase on the coffee table, told them it was $25k in there, and offered to leave the briefcase, if he could take the car.
SOLD!!!!!
Took her 2 seconds, and the cop was stunned. They talked back and forth in front of Tony, she told the guy that he would never do anything with it, and they could use the money. They went and talked privately and she came out and shook Tony's hand congratulating him as the new owner. The cop shook hands with Tony and told him that was a cleaver approach, but thanked him as it is probably the right thing to do.
Tony got the car, I got the restoration, and it has a nice warm cozy spot in a climate controlled garage with a bunch of other high end muscle.
This was not my first experience dealing with a wife, just my most notable. It usually does not take much to persuade a wife to sell the piece of junk (through her eyes), as most wives truly DO NOT understand).
Your guy went way to far for sure, but his approach with the Certified Check and the girlfriend is perfect, after that is pure creepy!

Radio Joe
11-24-2004, 02:02 PM
A while back when I sold my 69 on Ebay I had a guy email me 3 times how he didnt feel my car was worth what I was asking and all the reasons why, then he told me he WILL give me $500 for the car (which as he stated I would be LUCKY to get) and he can pick it up the next day. The car sold later on for what I was asking and then he stopped emailing...

Piet
11-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Hey Indy... Nice car... Is it for Sale? :naughty:

I won't fault the guy for trying.... but if someone wants to buy someone's car without thier asking.... at least don't make an insulting offer.

protour_chevelle
11-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Your car looks hideous! LOL. The spare tires are a nice touch! whats the track width on those puppies? 165?

All of our cars looked like that at one point. About all I have on you is nice lookin wheels even then you probably have some nice one off wheels tucked away somewhere :cool:

Piet- I'm in RedDeer, not that far away. Feel free to PM me!

-Matt

indyjps
11-24-2004, 03:53 PM
no the skinnies are on it to stay, what do you think slot car. no really i sold the weld bigs and littles years ago and the set of rallys kept going flat so i sold them too. i knew the car was gonna sit for a few years so thats what it got, its actually easier to push around since its been running on foot power for so long. its actually gonna be a few more months before i can tear it down. i found out the city is widening the road in front of my house so im getting ready to sell it and move. so for the time being im bench racing and parts shopping.

Bill Howell
11-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Your right indyjp that guy is crazy! I tell you what, just to keep him from bothering you sell it to me for(and I have done the research) $3500 and that will free up storage space, no more flats ...... :naughty:

On a serious note I did miss a one owner 70 Yenko Duece about two months ago because I was not aggressive enough so there is always the other side of the coin....

WS6
11-29-2004, 07:06 PM
wow that really sucks.

the only thing ive ever had happen to me thats weird involving my TA was i got pulled over by a cop and another cop came by the shop i work at because he had seen me on the highway a number of times.

the first one turned out innocent enough. however the odd part was he pulled over to wait for me because i was pulling out onto the main road. so im sitting at this stop sign and right as i get there this cop gets in the center suicide lane. im thinking great, what are the chances he did that because of me. also why the hell would he. thoughts run through my head of oh crap what am i going to be accused of(note i actually had that happen with another 79TA i had. i did absolutely nothing wrong. i just looked suspecious). so i pull out and he pulls back out on the road too and pulls up next to me. so i pull over and we talk. had me scared for a little bit there though. he was a pleasure to talk with though. just kinda funny how a car can do that to people sometimes.

the second one had a 77 and was interested in info and was also a pleasure to talk to.

CoryM
11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. You were obviously far too polite in your dealings with him the first time ;) . BTW a neat trick for dealing with that is to tell him to leave your property, give him time to do so and if he is not off it by then you place him under citizens arrest which allows you to detain him by force. The force part is the fun part :D . I hope you never see him again.

trapin
11-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Indy....that story was hillarious. Creepy, but hillarious the way you told it. I can't believe some of the crazy people we have in this world. You showed great restraint though. Me....I would have choked the guy to death right there on my front porch. I have about zero tolerance for people like that.

myclone
11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
I can't believe some of the crazy people we have in this world. You showed great restraint though. Me....I would have choked the guy to death right there on my front porch. I have about zero tolerance for people like that.

I agree 100%.