PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump locations

EFI69Cam
11-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Any ideas for where to mount an SX pump on a 69 Camaro with a sumped factory tank? They say as close to the tank and as low as possible.

Thanks

69 panel
11-25-2004, 06:31 AM
I don't have a Camaro but I had the same problem and I made a stainless "L" bracket that would hold the SX pump and filter and hung it between the fuel cell and the pumpkin. However my exhaust pipes exit before the rear wheels. So if your exhaust goes over the axel I don't know where you'd put it without fear of it getting to warm unless you enclosed it in an insulated box in the same area.

pushrod243
11-27-2004, 08:08 PM
You should find a location as close to the tank as posible. The reason is pumps dont suck(pull) very well they are designed to push. If you get too far away or to high it will cavitate. On my Nova I mounted my pump in front of the tank just ahead of the rear end. I havent had any problems so far. My motor is injected and my stock tank has a sump.

Twin_Turbo
11-28-2004, 01:44 PM
I agree. And if you can, install a 100 micron pre filter in front of the pump and the SX fine element filter behind it (if you also bought that one), those pumps don't like debris at all and it's cheap insurance to guarantee that the expensive pump stays in good condition.

xtrmeta
12-25-2004, 08:39 AM
On my T/A which is injected the only place I could put my high pressure pump was on the frame rail even with the top of the tank. My pump is susposted to be mounted lower than the tank, but it was not possible to do so. So I mounted a low pressure pump behind the tank to push the fuel to the high pressure pump. Worked out pretty good.