PDA

View Full Version : New Subframe soon...

absintheisfun
12-21-2006, 03:48 AM
I have come to discover that my sub on my 67 is bent :crying:

Instead of shopping for another first gen sub, I'm going to purchase an aftermarket, and get one that will let me get some serious meat to the road. I've been shopping, and I think I'm going to be getting the Martz, but I want some feedback from anyone who has purchased one (from any maker)
http://www.martzchassis.net/page1.htm

These all look the same (minus a few options), and I'm looking for the cheap way out. The frames all look identical, but the Wide-Track is 1000.00 more?

I'm not worried about the shocks or brakes, because I plan on doing that separately. Does anyone know if there are differences in these frames or control arms?

"The Martz Chassis Wide Track features control arms to extend the tread width"

is this true?

Should I look elsewhere?
I know of:
TCI-not feeling it
FatMan-don't really trust 'em
Detroit Speed-$$$$$$$$
21st-$$$$$$

PLEASE HELP ME!! I seek advice!

Steve1968LS2
12-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Art Morrison has a new one coming out.. not sure of price but it uses C5 components.. just another for the list.

I saw the TCI Camaro (at the track) doing some clandestine testing. It did pretty darn good. Near 1g average in the skidpad on R-compound tires.

All are pretty good bets for a street car.

Cyclone
12-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I think we need to cry for an official "Comparo" and include a "Gulstrand-Modded", Boxed-A-arm stock unit to really see if all of the thousands of dollars are really well spent.

My money is on the stock one (bang vs. dollars spent) but getting the big guys to allow the modified stock unit in the comparo might be impossible.

Don't get me wrong they are all well done and I'm sure will out-perform the modified stock unit, but I just can't justify the investment for the return.

29od1
01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
What are your intentions for performance? The Martz is OK, but Gary is a PIA to deal with. He really doesn't have good people skills, but the product they put out is decent for the price.

With the Wide Track on my 69 I can run 275s with a 17x9" wheel up front, but my turning radius is somewhat limited. They'll fit in there with the stock inner wheel wells, but you really need to get the correct offset for your wheels.

With the Martz you may need to add additional support structure to stiffen it a little. You'll also need to add your own turn stops and bump stops.

They design their own spindles and you'll need to send them your brakes and rotors and tell them what ride height you want.

Get the NASCAR style sway bar they sell also, it's a good additon.

Overall, it's a decent starting place for the price, but you'll have to mod it a bit on your own. There are better and there are more expensive so remember you get what you pay for. Just my 2 cents.

streetk14
01-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I have come to discover that my sub on my 67 is bent :crying:

Instead of shopping for another first gen sub, I'm going to purchase an aftermarket, and get one that will let me get some serious meat to the road. I've been shopping, and I think I'm going to be getting the Martz, but I want some feedback from anyone who has purchased one (from any maker)
http://www.martzchassis.net/page1.htm

These all look the same (minus a few options), and I'm looking for the cheap way out. The frames all look identical, but the Wide-Track is 1000.00 more?

I'm not worried about the shocks or brakes, because I plan on doing that separately. Does anyone know if there are differences in these frames or control arms?

"The Martz Chassis Wide Track features control arms to extend the tread width"

is this true?

Should I look elsewhere?
I know of:
TCI-not feeling it
FatMan-don't really trust 'em
Detroit Speed-$$$$$$$$
21st-$$$$$$

PLEASE HELP ME!! I seek advice!

I was in the same situation as you (stock subframe bent & cracked). I decided to go the Wayne Due route, with one of his C4 frames. That project is currently on hold, and I actually sold the frame before getting to drive the car with it installed :crying:

I did get another 1st gen project, and this one has a C5 subframe from Wayne Due. I am pretty happy with it, but I do want to do a larger front sway bar and replace the stock steering rack with an AGR performance rack. The car handles well, but has a little more body roll than I'm used to. I guess it is a moot point since Wayne is no longer building frames. I also heard that his early C5 frames had some geometry issues, but what exacty I'm not sure.

If I ever get another aftermarket subframe, it would probably be a 21st century street machines C5 system. I would stay away from subframes that require custom-made parts (a-arms, spindles, etc.). If that company goes out of business, you are out of luck if you need replacment parts. At least for now, C5 parts are affordable and easy to get. I hear Art Morisson has a new C5 sbframe coming out in the future.

I really think that you get what you pay for when shopping for an aftermarket subframe, keep that in mind. Good luck with your decision,

Andy

jmartz
06-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Our Wide Track unit is the same cost as the standard unit. The options shown in the picture are what up the price.

Prices are easy to understand, however I need to update the website to make it more viewer friendly and I've been saying that for years now and I get sidetracked, anyhow it's this simple:

Standard OR Widetrack unit, with GM brakes, Martz Chassis Coil Overs, Rack & Pinion Str, pwr or man, your choice no extra charge:
$2850

Upgrades include (but not limited to)
$650 Wilwood 12.19 4 piston brakes
$240 Adjustable coil overs, QA1, AFCO or Aldan
$300 SCP Sway bar

Just pick and choose what you want.

As far as bracing, we've never heard any customer call in here and tell us they needed bracing. I've heard only a handful saying they flex, however I've not gotten any feedback on that since I've tried to figure that problem out, I'm still waiting to hear about that. We use 2x3 .120 wall steel for the frames. They are mandrel bent. These frames were designed to be STRONG.