PDA

View Full Version : how about the saginaw 4-speed?

Autometer
11-23-2004, 09:39 PM
I want to convert my Malibu to a stick and the only tranny I have laying around is a 4-speed saginaw. Would it be worth it?

andrewb70
11-25-2004, 08:28 AM
How much power are you making?

Andrew

Kenova
11-25-2004, 01:33 PM
I once knew a guy who chewed one up with a lightly modified sbc 307. Another friend of mine would split them open like a ripe pumpkin. He had a modified 350. He always had a spare saginaw in his garage.
If you already have it, then go ahead and use it to set up your conversion. When you start making more power or start beating on it, start looking for a stronger tranny. There are a lot of T10s out there.

Ken

Autometer
11-25-2004, 05:39 PM
How much power are you making?

Andrew

I don't know. Enough to run 7.62 in the 1/8. :dunno:

myclone
11-25-2004, 08:11 PM
I don't know. Enough to run 7.62 in the 1/8. :dunno:

Youll prolly carry 2nd gear home in a bucket if you are hooking up but look on the bright side...you'll already have the set up installed to do a muncie or with a little more work a 5spd.

A bud of mine with an original 80 Malibu 4spd has broken several saginaws behind everything from the stock 305 to the built 406 he has now and thats on street tires.

dennis68
11-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Use the Saginaw for mock-up of the clutch linkage. Baby the snot out of it while you save pennies for a good transmission. In high school we would street race Friday night and spend Saturday wrecking yard hunting for more Saginaws to blow up the next week.

parsonsj
11-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Many many years ago, I used the original Vega saginaw 4 sp behind a "warmed over" 350 in one my several V8 Vegas. It lived until I sold the car. The next owner blew it up one day later.

It all depends on your driving style. I doubt it'll survive full-on drag racing for long. Road racing and autocross aren't as hard on transmissions, so it may live a while longer. But they aren't designed for much power/torque. Muncy, or Tremec TKO or T56s are a better choice.

jp

Autometer
11-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just starting to hate the automatic with the passion and know the car will be a blast with a stick. :3gears:

Texas Hotrod
11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
A friend of mine brought me his Muncie to try and sell for him. He said it has a bad 3/4 sunchro. I should have a good one I could put in left over from my Muncie rebuild.
Anyone interested in a good used tranny?
I can get casting #s and pics if needed.
---TEX---