PDA

View Full Version : Still Having the Same Problem!!!

72Z/28
12-20-2006, 07:05 AM
I have posted a thread 2 days ago regarding leaking problem on my BE COOL radiator that was frethly installed on my 72 camaro.

It really frustrating because it is a new BECOOL radiator, and I thought that the drain valve was not tight enough causing the coolant fluid to leak, so I had to tighten the valve hoping to fix the problem.

Yet,I am still having the same leaking problem, there is nut and a drain valve. I don't know whether the nut is welded to the radiator or it needs to be tightened more.

Is it possible that the problem is the with the radiator itself? ot the welding joint, where the drain valve fits, it is not done properly.

any ideas please..

John McIntire
12-20-2006, 07:57 AM
On my BeCool, There was a threaded bung welded to the body of the radiator which had a brass petcock in it. I never had a leak.
What I would suggest you do is remove the drain valve from the radiator and get a pipe plug of the same size and install it for the time being. Make sure the threads are clean and that you seal the threads, I prefer a liquid type sealant instead of the tape kind.
If that works and you have no leaks, get yourself a new drain valve.
If not, I'd check the weld and get on the phone with Be Cool!
Good Luck!

Steven
12-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Best bet is to remove the radiator and pressure test it. You'll find the leak with no worries.

4MuscleMachines
12-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I believe Becool radiators are epoxied and not brazed. Some users feel the epoxy makes leaks more prone to happen.

Steven
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
BeCool is all welded, at least mine is.

72Z/28
12-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Really appreciate your help guys. I guess the best thing is to remove the radiator and pressure test it like some of you mentioned. It seems that the leak is coming from the welding section where the drain valve is located, it leaks only when the car is driven for a while. I will pressure test it, hopefully sort this thing out.

thanks

Bandit
12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
My cousin had to send his back because it had a leaking weld--is this a common problem with the Be Cools?

72Z/28
12-21-2006, 02:44 AM
I finally found out where the stupid leak is coming from. I turned out that it was leaking from the little rubber hose a the end of the stainless steel upper hose. I guess the stupid peolpe at the shop did not put that rubber properly. The leak is between the rubber piece and the inlet of the radiator. I guess I have to unscrew the two clamps and relocate them where it does not leak anymore.

I am glad it is not the radiator that is leaking..

Thanks guys

Steven
12-21-2006, 09:04 AM
A great find, beats pulling the rad. It's the little things that cause the most problems and headachs. This often happens to me and I get the big "Duh".

Bandit
12-21-2006, 10:34 AM
At least it was something simple...