PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Jacks

John S
12-19-2006, 02:39 AM
I need a tranny jack and have been looking at both the adapters that go on a standard floor jack and the dedicated style.
Has anyone used the floor kack models, what do you think of them, are they worth it? I'll be removing my automatic and instaling the T56 in the next few weeks by myself so I want something that is dependable and safe but won't break the bank. Also I'll be working with the tranny and clutch a lot the next few months so something that is going to last a while would be nice.
Thanks.

formula
12-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Don't ask me....I just got up under my tko and pressed it up into place while a friend guided it through the bellhousing lol.

I'm going to presume you're not going to do this on a lift, right?

John S
12-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Nope, not on a lift... and mostly by myself

Mkelcy
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I need a tranny jack and have been looking at both the adapters that go on a standard floor jack and the dedicated style.
Has anyone used the floor kack models, what do you think of them, are they worth it? I'll be removing my automatic and instaling the T56 in the next few weeks by myself so I want something that is dependable and safe but won't break the bank. Also I'll be working with the tranny and clutch a lot the next few months so something that is going to last a while would be nice.
Thanks.
I did a remove and replace with my T56 this past summer by myself using a dedicated transmission jack. (I have a lift, but the issues are pretty much the same.) You'll need to be able to angle the tranny front to rear to get the input shaft aligned with the clutch, to raise it incrementally as you move the tranny forward to seat against the bellhousing and rotate it along the long axis to line up the bolt holes with the bellhousing. Anything that allows you do do all that should be fine. Myself, I like the ability to chain the tranny to the jack when I'm working under 130 pounds. If the adapters aren't secure, I'd go dedicated jack.

John S
12-20-2006, 02:40 AM
MKelcy;
I agree, I want something that is going to be secure and I dont know how secure the add on units are. Not to mention that I do not think they are capable of the full range of motion of a regular tranny jack. I found one on Northern tool in the $150 range, from there they jump up to $500-1000.
The $150 jack is listed at 176lbs, can it really weigh that much?

HILROD
12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
I bought one a Harbor Freight. The middle of the road one. It is one of the best things I've bought for the money. The TKO is a little tough to keep centered on the jack, as it is not flat at all on the bottom, but worked well enough to be able to R+R it within 30 minutes or so after a few trys. Bad hydraulics setup. I've used it on 5-6 cars already! FRANK