PDA

View Full Version : 4l60e (1996 LT1) - How do I control it?

Taylor1969
12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
I have purchased an LT1 4l60e to use with my 383 SBC and would like to know the best way to control it.

I know that TCI offers a computer w/ software for about $700, but I hope to spend less than that if I can.

Is it possible to use a stock 4l60e computer and use tunercat or pcmforless to program the gears, tire size, shift points, etc? Am I missing something? I figure I could get this setup running for somewhere around $350 and save some money.

Samckitt
12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but if I was doing the same setup I would talk to John at www.speartech.com. I'm sure he would have an answer.

Steve Chryssos
12-18-2006, 08:21 AM
......Is it possible to use a stock 4l60e computer and use tunercat or pcmforless to program the gears, tire size, shift points, etc?

Yes. You can do that.

Jayco_Automotive
01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
convert it to use a vaccuum modulator, would work like a thm350 or 400

Samckitt
02-01-2007, 03:34 AM
I don't think you can convert it. You are probably thinking of the 4L60 (aka 700R4) the 4L60"e" is the electronic version, all shift points, forward/reverse & so on is all controlled electronically, not mechanically.

Jayco_Automotive
02-01-2007, 06:38 AM
yes you can convert an 4l60e to use a modulator http://www.transgo.com/tough_stuff.php part number 46 mod. ive done it several times for local racers...

Samckitt
02-01-2007, 07:16 AM
I see, I was not aware of such a thing. But then I ask this: Why? It has been a few years, but I bought a 4L60 (700R4) that was only 3 or 4 years old for $125. That route seems simpler than buying a conversion kit & taking the tranny apart & convert it.

Jayco_Automotive
02-01-2007, 10:35 AM
i would agree, but how hard is it to drop the pan, it is always a good idea to get a unit manufactured aft 2/9/87 since they had problems with the low roller clutch in the ealier units... also i would not use a vehicle with a pwm pump...this in every unit ever built has been nothing but a pain and lead to premature converter failure do to the slip % of the converter clutch and never being able to fuly enguage creates more heat and wear..

Samckitt
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
The one I bought was a 92 & the only thing I did to it was pull the pump cover & switch to a 10 vane pump & hardened ring guides. I think I got it from Art Carr.

Jayco_Automotive
02-09-2007, 06:41 PM
the 4l60E had less quirks in design that is non-electronic predicessor, but that is just my opinion as a builder

Footjoy
03-19-2007, 08:54 AM
I would like to go back to original question. Is there an ecomical way to electronically control 4L60E?

Thanks

Steve Chryssos
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I saw your for sale ad. You will need to get an LT1 computer to run your fuel injection. That same computer will run your transmission.

Footjoy
03-22-2007, 07:57 AM
I would like to keep the 4L60e and put it in a 70 nova. The Lt1 is not part of the set up. Is there a economical way to just contol transmission? Will a pcm control it without the motor? Everything I see is 500.00 would like to find something cheaper.

Thanks
(sorry for the hijack)

Taylor1969
03-22-2007, 08:24 AM
I would like to keep the 4L60e and put it in a 70 nova. The Lt1 is not part of the set up. Is there a economical way to just contol transmission? Will a pcm control it without the motor? Everything I see is 500.00 would like to find something cheaper.

Thanks
(sorry for the hijack)

This is no hijack - it is exactly the question I would like to know.

According to some of the PCM editing companies it is not possible. We may have to pony up the big bucks form transmission control.

I plan to keep my th-350 for a while and may even put the 4l60e up for sale and do a t56 in the future

Steve Chryssos
03-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Thanks
(sorry for the hijack)

If you will be putting the electronic transmission behind a carbureted engine then you you have no choice but to run a standalone tans computer. There is no inexpensive alternative. To the contrary, the cost goes up since you must add on some form of throttle position sensor or vacuum modulator conversion.
That computer is quite busy running shift and line pressure solenoids as well as handling other functions such as converter lock up and manumatic capability. The smart computers also factor in engine or trans coolant temperature to help extend transmission life. Sorry there is no cheap alternative, but I hope that I have helped explain WHY the stuff is expensive.

Taylor1969
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
If you will be putting the electronic transmission behind a carbureted engine then you you have no choice but to run a standalone tans computer. There is no inexpensive alternative. To the contrary, the cost goes up since you must add on some form of throttle position sensor or vacuum modulator conversion.
That computer is quite busy running shift and line pressure solenoids as well as handling other functions such as converter lock up and manumatic capability. The smart computers also factor in engine or trans coolant temperature to help extend transmission life. Sorry there is no cheap alternative, but I hope that I have helped explain WHY the stuff is expensive.

Yeah... I understand. It is expensive because only two companies can do it :). I think that if they reduced the price to under $500 per unit they would be selling twice as many as if they charged $700. Over $500 and I really think that you get people thinking hard on whether or not it is a worthwhile expendature

I guess that i'll run the th350 for a while and save up 1K to control the transmission

fishtail8
03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
www.compushift.com (http://www.compushift.com) I used this kit to swap a 4L80E into my dually behind a carbed big block. Plug and play..... complete harness, can be made for pushbutton shifting, and if you get the optional display/programmer you can control most aspects of a 4L60 or an 80E. In my opinion is has been money well spent. Cruise rpm on the highway dropped by 1000rpm. In the first truck I had this trans in, I wasted 2.5yrs and lots of $$$ working with another person trying to make a stock harness, with a stock TCM, with a custom chip work. If I would have known about the Compushift kit, I would have done it in a heartbeat. Do yourself a favor, buck up and buy the kit, do it right the first time and you'll never look back... !!! Just my $.02.... Colin

BB69
03-22-2007, 10:46 PM
The Megasquirt computer will control a transmission with the new General Purpose Input Outout (GPIO) board they are working on. The first code is designed specifically for the 4L60E trans. As others have said, it will still require at least a throttle position sensor, but I don't think you will find anything more reasonably prices than Megasquirt components. I don't think the system is past testing yet, but it will be soon. I plan to use this to paddle shift a 4L60E.

Check out the forum for more information: www.msefi.com (http://www.msefi.com)

Ken

Taylor1969
03-23-2007, 05:17 AM
The Megasquirt computer will control a transmission with the new General Purpose Input Outout (GPIO) board they are working on. The first code is designed specifically for the 4L60E trans. As others have said, it will still require at least a throttle position sensor, but I don't think you will find anything more reasonably prices than Megasquirt components. I don't think the system is past testing yet, but it will be soon. I plan to use this to paddle shift a 4L60E.

Check out the forum for more information: www.msefi.com (http://www.msefi.com)

Ken

AWESOME!!! This will definately be my solution when it is available. Initial cost estimates are ~$150 for the board. Add a $20 case and the TPS and I would be well under $500 for a full working solution. I am stoked about this! Ken, thanks for the link!

Steve Chryssos
03-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Cool. Thanks for the link.

BB69
03-23-2007, 08:03 AM
I hope this could work for some people. I have been extremely impressed with the Megasquirt system on my Vette and also with the support available on the MS forum. If you read through the information on the Megashift project, you will see that Lance is a pretty diehard car guy. He is pretty open to suggestions for the 4L60E code. Also, he had already seen the Shrifter and expects to use it.

Ken

Steve Chryssos
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Cool. How do I get in touch with him?

BB69
03-24-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure how to contact him other than from the msefi board. His profile doesn't list any other contact information. All my contact with him has been through posts. They generally like to keep all the questions in threads so as many people as possible get the information. You will probably have to join the board, or you can send me your contact information, and I can forward it to him via PM.

Ken