PDA

View Full Version : Average LS1/LS2 package install cost?..

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Well.. ive been kicking around the idea of an Ls2/Ls1 install

just for shuyts and giggles i got a quote from a local shop that has done them..

they were talking like 10,000-15,000 with me supplying the engine.

now.. ive searched on here and i have no idea what is a deicent price.. so whats a good/deicent price for a swap and install?

my engine i have in it now is still VERY good and is making some deicent power.
it is a..
406 cubic inch SB chevrolet. This engine is 6.6
The engine block was fully reconditioned (bored .030" over in
the process),
increasing displacement to 406 cubic inches.
Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads (64cc straight plug
chambers)
Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum intake manifold
Lunati cast crank and pistons assembled for 10:00-1 compression
Lunati "number 10" 292/
292, Lift
.480/ .480
Holley 750 vacuum advance carburetor
GM HEI distributor

so..

i was thinking.. my setup is real good at the moment.. but ive come into a little so?..

whats the average price you paid to have it done?.. even though i know some of you did it yourself.

:hmm:

McssGmachine
12-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Well, I asked a local shop down here in TX about the same thing. But I wanted to put in a T56 too. They quoted me 7k.

shanekennedy
12-18-2006, 04:56 AM
add about $2500 to the cost of the engine/tranny for parts. donno about labor prices. a brand new ls2 w/ tranny & coversion parts could run $12-13k. add labor to that & you might be up to $15k.

derekf
12-18-2006, 06:09 AM
I expect that all told, including the engine/tranny cost and the cost of the rebuids of both, I'll be at about 7k (including harness, fuel system, and the like). It's going in an A-body though, so I'm not having to get the modified oil pan, etc.; and I'm using as much of the late-model Camaro parts as I can (radiator, AC, and the like).

There's no labor in that number though, because it's me doing the work.

jsconiers
12-18-2006, 06:35 AM
68 fire bird convertible....I paid 1900 for a t56 and ls1. Purchased a kit from BRP(1200 but 3000 if they prep the sub frame for you, ATS, S&P, have kits too), Add corvette FPR (150 used stock tank), Fuel lines(100), Walboro Fuel pump(150), radiator and electric fans (you can use stock ls1 stuff in first gen fbody(125), Harness and flashed computer (600), modified drive shaft (200), Proper gauges (50-500), tuning, etc. You can go more expensive with a rock valley gas tank tank (1000), be cool radiator setup, etc but I can't see 15K for the install, with no mods to the ls1 and little to no tuning. I would think with only the engine and trans supplied labor and additional parts above would be no more than 10K. Check out this link http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472609

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Well heres what i was told..

If you provide the engine and tranny this is the breakdown we have estimated -

Custom engine mounts

Tranny CrossMember

Custom Driveshaft

Notch the oil pan (or custom pan)

Harness modification for fuel pump/fans/vats

Custom return style fuel system with a Weldon inline pump and Weldon regulator - all AN fittings and SS hose (your choice on fittings, regular or all black)

Custom fuel tank (Sump stock or custom aluminum)

Custom gas pedal and clutch pedal assembly

Headers - You can run shorties or custom long tubes

Radiator and fan - Custom C&R radiator with dual electric fans (or a single)

Autometer guage setup - All electric full cluster, wired and done

Steering rack - You can keep the stock one or swap to a Power Steering rack (your choice)

Install motor/tranny

Fabricate X pipe or Y setup to attach to the exhaust

Tune - EFI Live Custom dyno tune on our dyno

All the fluids and oil changes

Spark Plugs and Wires (MSDs)

Relocate Wires/Coils

Clean up engine bay - tuck wires, polish parts, etc...

Depending on what you choose the swap can go anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 and up.

now with all that extra stuff i figure that why it was so expensive.

6camaro9
12-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Well, I asked a local shop down here in TX about the same thing. But I wanted to put in a T56 too. They quoted me 7k.
where's the shop in TX and it's name?

thanks...

McssGmachine
12-21-2006, 12:15 PM
It was Keith Craft Motorsports in Plano,TX. One of the sponsers on here.

jsconiers
12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
I think they are over charging you on labor as most of the pieces are available and not have to be customized. Then again maybe they are including extra money in case they need additional stuff.....?

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-28-2006, 01:56 AM
i see.. i was figuring that it was pretty much on the high side

DJW32
12-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Venomous,
Is this going into a camaro? If so, you can call ATS for the engine mounts, oil pan, and other misc parts. Headers? Hooker has headers for the 67-69 camaro...That price seems way to high

Mr.VENGEANCE
01-04-2007, 04:34 AM
i talked to them and they said they would work the price package down to 10 K.. but itll be bare bones.. is it worth it?

compared to what i listed up top?