PDA

View Full Version : BB Chevy Users

jg67
11-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Anyone out there running a BB in their Camaro '67-'69??? I need one simple measurement.
thanks....

Bill Howell
11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
I have an original 69 with the 396. What do you need. I am leaving in a little while for Daytona but will check back before I leave.

TonyHuntimer
11-23-2004, 01:55 PM
What kind of measurement do you need?

I don't have heads on my engine currently, so I may not be able to help.

:)
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

kman67rsss
11-23-2004, 02:23 PM
i have a BBC in a 67 camaro and its up and running. maybee i could help. whats ya need?

jg67
11-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all the response guys. Before I begin I would like to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving weekend. Sorry for not responding any sooner.
What I need to know are the following two measurements

1: Height of the harmonic balencer bolt above the ground.
2: Height of rocker panel (bottom of panel) above ground behind the front wheel.

I am trying to establish the correct placement of the engine in the chassis. I am thinking about raising the engine up to get more ground clearance since the car is fairly low to the ground to begin with.

thanks.

Bill Howell
11-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Rocker panel to ground-9 3/8
Harmonic Balancer to ground-11 5/8
My car has a fluiddamper balancer so it may differ in diameter with yours. I need to caution you about raising the motor very much though unless you are planning to use a cowl hood. I put a set of world heads(about one inch taller than stock) and had to change my SS hood because of clearance issues with the air cleaner. By the way with my stock oil pan on the car I would guess the clearance between the pan and subframe to be less than 1/4 inch(can not get my fat finger between).Good luck and mock everything up to check clearance with hood or you will be like me and be buying a new one. :banghead:

jg67
11-29-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply.
Bill wrote
"Harmonic Balancer to ground-11 5/8"
Is this the distance of the bolt to the ground (i need) or the bottom of harmonic balancer to ground?
I need the distance of the bolt (center of harmonic balancer) to ground.

thanks again,
John

RobM
11-29-2004, 12:05 PM
if this is a handling car id keep the engine as low as possible. the higher the motor is the more weight transfer your going to have.

jg67
11-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Yes it is a high speed handling car. The car has the same suspension and chassis as 'Big Red'. The problem is that I may have postioned the engine too low in the car to begin with. Remember that Big Red was running a dry sump setup with a multi disc clutch and smaller then stock transmissin housing. The engine could be placed extremely low in the car without having to worry about shearing the bottom of the pan. In my case since it is a stock (well almost stock) oil pan the engine has to be placed at stock height which I do not have info on. That is why I am trying to get back to what the stock engine placement is in the car.

Bill Howell
11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Sorry about that :pat: -I measured from the bottom of the balancer not center. The center of bolt to ground is 15 inches.Hope that helps

jg67
11-29-2004, 05:58 PM
thanks Bill, that is what I needed. The means that the crankshaft centerline is 5 5/8" above bottom of rocker panel. Now I have to wait until I get one of my wheels back from Jongbloed. Had to be returned for repairs. What a nightmare. Long story...... At the moment car is on jack stands.....