PDA

View Full Version : Speed calculator

Van B
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Is there a calculator out there that will estimate top speed taking Cd into account along with HP and gearing, etc?

the camtender
12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Jeff,I don't know if there is a calculator or such,but it sounds like you might be planning some sort of high speed event?If so which one?
I'm in the process of getting ready for an open road race event (unlimited speed) in spring 07 and and will be starting 1st shake down run on a set of 247 gears this weekend.68 camaro.

Jerry

tireman
12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
I was laid up with a bad back for a few months and got bored, so I wrote this. The second page has a top speed estimator in it. I never validated it, but I think it's correct...:geek:

Let me know if you need help understanding it. I wrote it for myself with no real intention of someone else understanding my bizarre thoughts while under the influence of pain meds!

Good luck!

the camtender
12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Tireman,did you forget to attach a link or something?:hmm:

the camtender
12-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Ok, I see it now.Computer will not open file

David Pozzi
12-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't see rolling drag in your sheet.
Read this: http://www.mayfco.com/cobra.htm

Van B
12-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Jeff,I don't know if there is a calculator or such,but it sounds like you might be planning some sort of high speed event?If so which one?
I'm in the process of getting ready for an open road race event (unlimited speed) in spring 07 and and will be starting 1st shake down run on a set of 247 gears this weekend.68 camaro.

Jerry

Not really planning anything, just curious. Any idea what the approximate Cd is on a 67 Camaro?

Tireman, why do you have 2nd gear ratio and what criteria do you use to estimate drivetrain efficiency?

David Pozzi
12-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Here is an Land Speed Record site with several spreadsheets:
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

ITLBTU
12-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I have a tool that was made by Erson Cams. It has a speed calculator on one side, and a valve computer on the other. It's a circular slide rule.

malihoochie
12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I have a tool that was made by Erson Cams. It has a speed calculator on one side, and a valve computer on the other. It's a circular slide rule.

Ah! The ol' Erson "dream Wheel" !