PDA

View Full Version : Suspension ?s

marine02ss
12-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I just got a set of Fiske FM5s for 68 camaro .However the fronts I cant get them to tuck inside the fenderwell when I lower the Qa1 coilovers they rub.Do i have to roll or cut the inner fender lip.The driver side looks like it cal clear but the left is really bad.I did noticed however that when I took it to the alignment shop it takes like 8-10 shims on the top arm bolts on both sides. I think thats to much.I have BMR upper and lower control arms

David Pozzi
12-10-2006, 06:01 PM
What alignment specs are you using?
Try the specs on my web page below. Some neg camber will tilt the top of the wheel in, - which helps.

It's not easy to modify the front fender lips due to the inner fender shape.
David

Marcus SC&C
12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Static negative camber will sure help. You`ll still be fighting the stock geometry though. As the suspension compresses the top of the tires move out to meet the fender (positive camber gain). That`s not good for tire clearance or performance. You could do the G mod,which would help a little but if you`ve already got 8-10 shims (I hope they`re not all 1/8"!) in there you won`t be able to get enough negative camber out of your existing upper arms/cross shafts so it may end up a wash for tire clearance. Do the BMR arms use stock cross shafts? If they do you could gain a little more alignment with offset cross shafts. Our SevereDuty X-Tall upper ball joints will give you a nice pronounced negative camber curve that`ll pull the tires in and away from the fender lips in bump (compression) giving you a lot more clearance. They also make a huge improvement in the overall suspension geometry for better handling. They`re not going to work with your current UCA/shim stack combo either though,you`d need a set of our adj. tubular uppers too (Stage 1-Plus). The only other alternatives that come to mind are some tricky wheel well lip surgery or wheels with more backspacing. Mark SC&C

marine02ss
12-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Updated with pics on shims

Marcus SC&C
12-28-2006, 08:29 AM
BMR doesn`t mention anything about altering the length or shape of the arms to allow for more - camber or + caster. If they`re built to stock specs like some of the other tubular arms then with lowered ride height and more modern alignment specs you`d certainly need those big shim packs. It would sure help to know what the current alignment specs are. Mark SC&C

marine02ss
12-28-2006, 11:34 PM
It was aligned the old fashion way by raising the front end and measuring and stuff,cause supposly the machine does not have the car in its program,so whats the fix, Some other control arms?Guldstrand mod?