PDA

View Full Version : LS6 Cooling Question

wblanton
12-10-2006, 07:23 AM
I am installing a LS6 in a 69 camaro from Turnkey Engine, I am also installing a Ron Davis radiator (LS type). My question is will the fans wire into the factory wiring loom and work properly. The guy who is installing my motor and radiator says he needs to install a sending unit and some relays for it to work properly. The guys at Turnkey say it will wire in to the factory loom. What is the best way to do this?

pist0lpete
12-10-2006, 02:02 PM
There are settings in the LS6 computer and wires in the harness to run the electric fans. I believe you will need to locate these wires and run then to a powered relay that runs the fans.

streetk14
12-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I am installing a LS6 in a 69 camaro from Turnkey Engine, I am also installing a Ron Davis radiator (LS type). My question is will the fans wire into the factory wiring loom and work properly. The guy who is installing my motor and radiator says he needs to install a sending unit and some relays for it to work properly. The guys at Turnkey say it will wire in to the factory loom. What is the best way to do this?

I think you can do this either way. If the engine harness you are using has the electric fan leads, then the ECM will tell the fan when to turn on/off. If your harness does not have the fan wiring, you will have to run a stand-alone fan system (which is what I have in my '67 LS6 camaro). Either way, you will need some relays to power the fan/fans. I'd suggest buying a fan relay kit from Be Cool, or one of the other fan/radiator companies.

Your other option is to run a variable fan speed controller (www.dccontrol.com). I had one of his complete fan setups on my '68 and it was great. It only requires a power and ground (no relays needed) and a temp probe wire. The cool thing is how it ramps the fan speed up or down to keep the engine at the proper temperature. Relay systems cycle the fan (my '67 turns on at 195, off at 180) so the engine temp is always fluctuating. I will probably be converting this car to a variable speed controller soon.

Hope this helps,

Andy