PDA

View Full Version : 65-66 mustang suspension potential?

boodlefoof
11-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey all, got a quick question for those who are familiar with the old Mustang suspensions.

I'm one of those people who likes to plan things waaaay ahead of time... so I'm thinking about what the next project car will be (probably in 2 years, when I'll be out of grad school and have a little extra cash) and I'm really leaning towards the 65-66 mustang fastback. (no, not going to get rid of the Camaro... want a second project. :smoke: )

So, for you suspension gurus, how does the suspension in factory form stand up design-wise? The front suspension is a little different than my '68 Camaro and looks somewhat similar to the front suspension in my 1990 Nissan 300ZXTT. Out back are leaf springs and inboard shocks at quite an angle.

Is the suspension setup a good one? Are upgrades like the Global West systems a big improvement over factory? Or, should I be considering chopping out the old suspension completely and putting in a different setup all together? How about reinforcing the upper spring/shock tower up front... I hear this is a weak spot?

This isn't going to be a flat out racer... just a fun around-town drive. But I'm a perfectionist and I would rather do it once and do it right than do a second rate job and always wish I had done something else.

Thanks for any and all comments.

67Sally
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Classic mustang suspensions can be set up to perform with either new or old technology. Shelby did it with his original GT350's. There are also some great new technologies that are bolt on (Global West and Total Control Products both have great suspension set ups for classic mustangs)

I will dig into my files and post some links for you.

Lowend
11-24-2004, 06:10 PM
The cars need a lot of work to function properly - the chassis flex a ton.
There are 3 companies you should look at
www.globalwest.net
www.totalcontrolproducts.com
www.maierracing.com

They are doing the absolute best early mustang suspension stuff around right now

boodlefoof
11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm looking at the link to Total Control Products and they have a pretty trick looking rear suspension setup... but the coil overs are almost parallel to the ground?? How can this spring the suspension effectively? Seems very strange. Check it out at http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rearcoil.html

I've been kind of toying with the idea of building a full-framed car out of one of these... basically just welding connectors bridging the front subframe to some boxed steel rear frame rails and then having some caged-nuts to bolt the body to that. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the links. Any and all comments are appreciated.

ZZ430
11-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Boodle, how about trashing everything forward of the firewall and plug in this from Martz?
Martz Mustang subframe (http://www.martzchassis.net/images/mp%20frames.jpg)

Those front ends being almost identical to early Novas leave lots of room for improvement.

The rack & pinion wouldn't be a bad thing either.

You could check on the tin pieces as well. It makes a sweet engine compartment.

:2nd:

They also have a rear kit, you could tie everything up.

boodlefoof
11-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks! Aftermarket front sub might be a possibility. Looks like it welds in? Tying into the rocker panels perhaps? Appears that it might be pretty tight fitting headers though... happen to know of any other pics of the front subframe?

ZZ430
11-30-2004, 04:50 PM
John, yeah, headers might be a problem, but there is one with a 427 Cammer running around. I'm looking for pics.

boodlefoof
12-01-2004, 08:13 PM
If you find those pics, I'd love to see them.

NTIMID8
12-13-2006, 10:23 PM
If you find those pics, I'd love to see them.

Me too!:smoke: