PDA

View Full Version : Firewall paint color poll

crazyfireman
12-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I need to finalize the color for my firewall, The subframe is Por15 medium gray, I plan on painting the inner fenders dark hammertite gray also. I am leaning towards painting the firewall yellow, but am considering gray and black also. C130fe wants me to paint it black but I want opinions. Thanks in advance!!

crazyfireman
12-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Yellow......

vintageracer
12-09-2006, 09:28 AM
What color is the car? I assume yellow?

crazyfireman
12-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, Yellow with black vinyl roof.

vintageracer
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
None of the above.

I would color the inner fenders, radiator support and firewall the same color whichever you choose. I like the medium gray you have chosen for the subframe.

I think you will have too many colors under the hood with a medium gray subframe, dark hammertite gray inner fenders and then one of the 3 colors listed above on the firewall. Remember, you still have an engine to paint "some" color and other accesories on and around the engine that will add color and plated/polished parts to an already "busy" looking underhood area as far as color is concerned.

crazyfireman
12-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Very true! The POR 15 medium gray is starting to make sense...

130fe
12-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Vintage brings up a good point, keep with same color no matter what you choose. I still can't believe you are not going back with the original orange/green color combo. :razz: I will get with you near the end of the week after I get back from Honduras to help you tear it apart.

Steve1968LS2
12-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Keep it simple..

Either paint the whole bay black (or grey) or paint it all body color. Having the firewall one color, the fenders wells another color and frame a third color will just look cluttered and hobbled together.

novanutcase
12-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Listen to Steve! If you don;t believe me look at the engine bay he put together. SICK!!!!

crazyfireman
12-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Ok, I am going with medium grey, I seen a yellow camaro with inner fenders, and firewall all yellow and didnt care for it. I just hope that having the subframe, suspension, inner fenders, and firewall all the same color doesnt end up looking washed out.

69TAPoser
12-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Ok, I am going with medium grey, I seen a yellow camaro with inner fenders, and firewall all yellow and didnt care for it. I just hope that having the subframe, suspension, inner fenders, and firewall all the same color doesnt end up looking washed out.

From my perspective, that is the point! Why draw attention to those components? In my opinion, you want the "heart" of your beast to be the focal point under the hood. :naughty:

Phil

Steve1968LS2
12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
From my perspective, that is the point! Why draw attention to those components? In my opinion, you want the "heart" of your beast to be the focal point under the hood. :naughty:

Phil

To me having then engine bay the color of the car makes the engine stand out more since the fenderwells and firewall "blend" with the car ,However a color like Yellow is so overpowering that its almost one of the exceptions to the rule unless the engine itself is done just the right way.

When you look at the engine bay on my car I feel the engine POPS out at you and is certainly the focal point.

Steve1968LS2
12-10-2006, 05:14 PM

Have some of the components silver and black.. it's all about subtle contrasts and textures.

Have you painted the subframe yet? Maybe it could be black and the control arms could be a shade of silver. Sorta hard to say without pics.

crazyfireman
12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I have painted the subframe, por 15 medium grey. I am not 100% decided but would like to soon, I want to begin painting this weekend, I hate having my car apart for an extended period of time!

crazyfireman
12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Steve the blue car makes me want to paint it yellow!! That engine bay is hard to beat if you ask me, any suggestions on engine color for mine?? Chevy orange must be updated!!

6'9"Witha69
12-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Chip Foose said it best once that "(paraphrase) when you open the hood, it should be like opening a jewel box, and the engine is the jewel inside". I voted gray but that is intended to be the same hammertite grey as the inner fenders.

I am remembering a thread wherer you aked about the control arm color. What did you end up doing with them?

BonzoHansen
12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
1. Not yellow unless you supply onlookers with sunglasses.
2. Inner fenders & firewall & rad support should be same. I like the jewelry box analogy.
3. Make sure your ignition wires don't clash. Just a pet peeve I thought I'd throw in.

crazyfireman
12-12-2006, 05:10 AM
6'9 I havent painted the control arms yet, waiting to tie it all together. Definately gonna paint the firewall, inner fenders the same color.

6'9"Witha69
12-12-2006, 08:41 AM
I think the Hamertite on the inner sheetmetal and the same POR15 on the Control arms would allow the differences you want without clashing and distracting viewers from the engine.

crazyfireman
12-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Well, I flaked out again, went to buy the Por15 gray and discovered they have a silver!! man does it look awesome so that is the color!! Will post pics in a week or so.

Yelcamino
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
If you guys don't mind, I'd like to chime in on this one. There are two looks that I like. The first is having the firewall and innerfenders painted body color, the frame semi-gloss black, and the engine gloss black. The other is the firewall, innerfenders, and frame all semi-gloss black with the engine body color or a color that will help it stand out from the black surrounding it.

Oh, and if you check out my PT garage, you'll know right away that I like yellow. :twothumbs

crazyfireman
12-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Yelcamino, that engine bay looks sharp, just like everyone was saying like a jewelrybox with the motor being the Jewel. i painted one innerfender the POR15 Silver and it looks nasty.

Yelcamino
12-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks. I know some people like less shine, more of a business look I guess, but I like a little flash under the hood.

When you say "it looks nasty" do you mean that in a bad way?

crazyfireman
12-15-2006, 04:46 AM
Yes looks like crap..

Z06vet
12-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Danny- did you get much done today? Scott

crazyfireman
12-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Im at work today, off next Tuesday and Friday. Coming by?

Z06vet
12-16-2006, 04:29 AM
I may try to come by on tuesday. I leave to go up to NJ for the holidays on thurs. If work is still slow & I get everything done, I may come by for a few hours. Scott

Cruiser
12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Mine is all black with Prowler orange, the valve covers are are temps, they will change to the Chevy short Alum script covers.

I thought I would post pictures to show a stock engine color, gloss black bay, natural Alum tones. If you can picture the valve covers changed out I think it will come togehter witha few colors under the hood.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/12/P1000360-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/09/100_2899-1.jpg