PDA

View Full Version : E coating and chem striping

bookends
11-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I've gotten my 69 Camaro torn down and I'm debating on how to strip the body. I'm also interested in e coating the body. (this was my first Car and I've owned it for 11 years. I want it to out last me.) I live in the Atlanta Ga area. does anyone know anywhere in the south that uses this process? Also what is the cost of chemical striping and E coating. so I can factor that in my budget as well.
Thanks
Jon

trayb
11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Jon, there is a place called Unpaint that will strip it for you. I have used them on my 70 Chevelle, 65 Chevelle. I just bought a 69 Camaro that I will be taking apart soon. I may let them dip the body providing I can find a place that does e-coating. I heard of a few places in Marietta or Kennesaw that does e-coating. I will let you know as soon as I find out.

bookends
11-22-2004, 09:51 PM
thanks for the info Tray. where in Suwanee are you? I'd love to get together sometime for some bench racing maybe discuss our projects.

trayb
11-23-2004, 04:55 AM
I am right off Taylor Rd, near Collins Hills off of L'ville-Suwanee Rd. Ride down Taylor look on the right and you will see my black SS truck and my 69 still on the trailer. I havent had a chance to clean it out yet, been raining.

trayb
11-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Jon, I found a place in Jackson, Miss that does stripping and e coating. Costs around $1800. I may try to dismantlep my car down soon so I can take it to them when I head to see my family in Miss. for the holidays.

bookends
11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
If you need any help I live a couple of miles from you. I'd be glad to help out. I'll be out of town for thanksgiving but I'll be back next week.

trayb
11-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Great! I'll be in town this thanksgiving. Hit me up on Aim "saint tre" screen name.

trayb
11-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Jon, I may do the metalwork on the car after I have it dipped at Unpaint. After then I will take the car to Miss. They told me it takes about 4 weeks to dip and e coat the body, but I have some metalwork to do onthe car before I take it to them.

bookends
11-25-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm in the same place you're in with my 69. I've got one rust hole in my pass side qtr panel, and I'm wanting to minitub it. Our projects sound like they're going to be very similar. twin turbo LS1 69's. I know A lot of people in the Atl area that are very talented when it comes to tuning and building LS1s. I was the president of the Ga f body association, so I have a lot of contacts through there.
I drove by your place yesterday, you live about 200 yds from my mother's house. small world. I'm sure you love all the highschool kids that slide through your yard when they miss that curve on Taylor rd :hammer: when I'm on Aim I'm gadgetman0072870. talk to you later have a good thanksgiving.

trayb
11-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I hate those damn kids and their pocket rocket cars. If I can get about 10 more of them to run thru my yard, I will have my house paid for by their insurance, heheheheheh!! Do you have a place we can take the car apart? I was thinking about leasing some space in L'ville. I was looking at getting my engine from Agostino Racing, they build some killer LS1's even though they are in Canada.

bookends
11-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I've got a two car Garage, but my wife would kill me if I took up both slots. I do have a rather large Storage building that you could Store parts in if you'd like to. I'd recommend either Bille Lawler, he used to work at GMMG (ZL1 fourth gens, Berger SS's, etc) Calvin Nabors, (Local builder, son used to race pro stock) Lamar Walden, or Futural motorsports. All are local except Futural motorsports. Futural built a friend's SS Camaro, it is a forged internal 346. he was the first LS1 car in Ga to run 9's and he did it with a 6 speed.