PDA

View Full Version : "un-pressing" a press fit

BobB66SS
12-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Guys -

I have a compact/TC style PS pump that's part of the serpentine accessory system for my Chevelle. The manufacturer shipped it to me with a straight, barbed brass nipple already pressed into the low pressure port. What I need to clear my strg gearbox is a 90 degree fitting, which they've now shipped to me. They're unwilling to swap the entire pump so I'm left to remove the existing fitting and swap in the one I need. It's a polished aluminum pump.

The mfr's tech support guy suggested vise grips as the removal strategy. Before I risk trashing this piece, any suggestions or experience removing something like this?

I'm not looking at heating the pump housing since that will likely expand the brass fitting even faster and might trash the bearing seals and grease.

Thanks for the help.

WS6
12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
This is the little type II pump that GM had on a lot of the FWD cars right? Sorry I haven't heard it called what you are calling it. It is the type most street rod guys use. Has the smooth barb on the side and pressure port points straight up? I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.

Anyway if the barb is what I am thinking of, it is very thin walled. If so simply secure the pump tightly by say setting it into the vise with softjaws in place or having someone else hold the pump ont he wooden work bench. Take a chisel or punch and dent the side in close the the housing itself. The idea is the collapse the side of the barb which will in turn make the diameter smaller. It should slip right out then.

This is what I am referring to. I just wish they showed the barb fitting they send on it in the picture.

http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com/products/part.asp?partid=176

Anyway I hope this at least gives you some ideas. good luck

BobB66SS
12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Trey, I'll give that a try.

Yes, that's the pump style I'm referring to. I borrowed the TC designation from DSE, which is what they call their version of this pump. Short for transverse bearing compact pump.

Thanks again for the assist.