PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Ford 9" rearend

69TAPoser
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Here's what I have for my '69 Firebird:

Ford 9" with Detroit Locker center (N case). The 9" housing has stock disk brakes (will be switching to Wilwood to match the front brakes). The housing measures 52.25" end to end of the tubes. I have ordered the DSE 3" drop rear springs and DSE leaf spring pads.

I have been told that this rearend will be about 1" shy (on each side) of what stock would be, but that I can make this up with backspacing.

Questions:

1. I assume the backspacing will give me a "deep dish" look? If so how deep? Anyone have pics of a similar setup?

2. What shwould the typical back space be and what is the widest 18" wheel/tre I could go with without having rubbing issues?

Thanks!

Phil

ProBell
12-08-2006, 03:37 AM
How the rim will look is going to depend on what rim you pick. Some rims will show the back space and others tend to hide it. I have a 9" rim with 5" back space and it dose not look deep.
The width and final back space will depend on what you did to the wheel well and final ride heights. As far as I know the biggest tire you can fit in a stock well is 27" tall and a section width of around 10.4.
If you go to Tire Rack you can look up different size tires and rims to determine what you can fit.

Randy