PDA

View Full Version : Project tear-down

JoshStratton
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
When you guys tear your cars down, how do you keep everything organized? I have little piles and boxes of stuff, but have come to the conclusion that this site is going to have a nice game of 'name that part/screw/bolt' in a few years.

Beeper
12-07-2006, 11:49 AM
I used lots of ziploc baggies, index cards, and a sharpiemarker

6'9"Witha69
12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
A very good memory!!

An baggies, index cards and sharpies as well. The reason for the cards is that the sharpie can rub off a bag over time (especially around oil, grease and any solvents you may be working with during teardown). So you write the decription on the card and place it in the bag/box/etc.

Damn True
12-07-2006, 12:00 PM
I am collecting large amounts of those cheap plastic storage bins from Wally-World. Each box will contain parts that are "system" or "assembly" related. Small parts will be in bags with a labeled index card. Put bolts in the hole in which they belong whenever possible.

jy211
12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I used lots of ziploc baggies, index cards, and a sharpiemarker

Same here. I also get large plastic bins and try and group the parts together...then label the bin...

jaybee
12-07-2006, 01:34 PM
All of the above, plus get a digital camera that's cheap & sturdy enough to take into the garage. Take pictures of EVERYTHING as you take it apart. Even things that look like they should be self-evident can leave you asking which side of the thingamajig the doohickey goes on after months or years of fading memory.

z4me69
12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
bag and tag memory dont hurt either i have had my 3 69s apart so many times i can put them back together in my sleep

ProBell
12-07-2006, 02:57 PM
I to bag,label and take pictures. My other suggestion is try to put all the bolts and hardware back in the taped hole or through one of the pieces removed.
I also try not to take apart something that I am not ready to work on. The plan of attack tends to change over time so I try not to get to far ahead of my self or budget. Randy

Steve Chryssos
12-08-2006, 12:29 AM
The best advice I have is to take your time. Ask yourself why they built something as they did (i.e. number, size of bolts, how stuff fits together, etc.) Take the time to check for wear and damage. Then really ask yourself if you will reuse the part. For example, we are doing an RS grille conversion/core support on a friend's 69 Camaro. He wanted to reinstall the crusty, decrepid radiator overflow tank onto a shiny new core support. I mean this thing looks like it came out of a swamp. We had to convince him to replace it.

BonzoHansen
12-10-2006, 08:04 AM
I used lots of ziploc baggies, index cards, and a sharpiemarkerall that and a digital camera.

JoshStratton
12-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Mkay, this sucks. I had a plastic tool bin that I was seperating my bolts with. I had little notes in each compartment. Well I opened the box because I was going to seperate them in the ziplock bags with note cards and I dropped the damn box. Now I don't know what goes where.

andrewb70
12-10-2006, 08:40 AM
all that and a digital camera.

Thats great advice. Before pulling something apart take several pictures from various angles.

Andrew