PDA

View Full Version : When aluminum gets NASTY.....

trapin
12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I thought I'd post this in the LSX forum being since it has to do with LS1 components and for the simple fact that only 3 people ever go into the Restoration forum in a given week. My dillema? Aged aluminum. After it's been exposed to the elements for a while it gets this white oxidation all over it, almost looks like sulfer deposits. And it turns a dark grey and just gets nasty looking. As I rebuild this LS1 I wanna clean it up and at least make it look new again. Any advice (outside of grinding) you can suggest to restore the aluminums natural finish? Solvents? Magic potions? Thanks.

Steve68
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Bead Blasting, and no humidty!

parsonsj
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Bead blasting is the best, but it opens the pores of the metal, and it will quickly "age" again. Bead blasting followed by Zoops or some other top coat will work. It won't look like natural aluminum anymore though.

If you want to work on it without taking the block somewhere, use a stainless wire wheel. That's pretty good if you can get it into all the places you care about.

On mine I just bolted it in the car, au natural.

jp

MuscleRodz
12-05-2006, 08:24 PM
It is not good to use glass beads on aluminum castings. It gets inbedded in the metal. Walnut hulls are best for aluminum castings.

Mike

ProTouring442
12-06-2006, 03:16 AM
What about that aluminum brightner stuff they use in comercial buildings? If I remember correctly, it's some sort of mile acid used to make the aluminum trim on store fronts look good again.

Just a thought.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442 (http://www.fquick.com/ProTouring442)

kmcanally
12-06-2006, 04:10 AM
Use 0000 (finest) or 000 steel wool...it works great. If you can take it to a plaiter and have it clear anodized to prevent future corrosion.

andrewb70
12-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Use 0000 (finest) or 000 steel wool...it works great. If you can take it to a plaiter and have it clear anodized to prevent future corrosion.

I think Tony is asking about an LS1 block. It is an "as cast" part so its not smooth. The acid idea sound promising. I wonder if there is a Naval Jelly like substance for aluminum.

Andrew

70 Chevelle
12-06-2006, 05:47 AM
detail shops use an undiluted version of bleach white because they buy in bulk and then they mix it with water if you can find a detail shop near you that uses this the stuff is incredible. you need to remove ALL of the grease first or it dosen't work. Spray it on and leave it only for aout 10 seconds then wash it all off with water. If you leave it on too long the aluminum turns black permenantly. practice on some junk aluminum first to get the hang of it . when done correctly it looks BRAND NEW. by the way you will know the stuff is working when it starts to foam up as sson as it touches the bare aluminum.

WS6
12-06-2006, 06:51 AM
If it is just the block, why not paint it? Just another though.

wendell
12-06-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure how it would be effected by heat but NeverDull or a similar polish will seal up AL bright work and keep it looking sharp for a long time.

trapin
12-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. So it looks like there is no sure fire way of cleaning these parts outside of blasting and then coating to prevent future discoloration. I guess I have a date with the media blaster in my future. The block, however, I will just try to clean up myself as much as I can.

BLT2DRIVE
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I did a take out swap for my buddy. I used a home hopper style sand blaster, filled with plastic media beads (just under 1/16 ") I had used on vintage motor cycle carbs. (magnesium &aluminum). I don't know about sealing, What about satin clear, real popular right now?

TonyL
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
easy off works.

ProTouring442
03-14-2007, 03:52 AM
easy off works.

I thought Easy Off turned aluminum black?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

bretcopsey
03-14-2007, 05:01 AM
I used "lantern oil" on my aluminum manifold years ago and it worked pretty well at cleaning up all but the nastiest of gas stains.

molyorange 77
03-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Ive heard from Air Plane Guys that vinegar works But dont remember if they used it on sheet aluminum or cast.

joeljet
03-14-2007, 07:59 AM
yes there is a naval jelly for aluminm. the easy-off no-fumes stuff is milder, slower to work, and not as corrosive as the regular smelly kind. i use it on my alum pizza pan couple times a year, leave it on for hours without any pitting or discoloring. don't use never dull it polishes real nice but it seems to retarnish quickly. i plan on painting mt stock brackets, water pump, block, etc with some high temp silver. not sure about the semi polished things like the n.w. t/b, catch can

TonyL
03-14-2007, 09:04 AM
easy off will leave it dark grey.

if you want it to look shiny new. get this product.

http://www.oxisolv.com/html/aluminum.html

It's what edelbrock reccomends for cleaning stained cast manifolds and heads.

Tom Welch
03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
"pickle" the aluminum with boiling vinegar. sounds crazy but that is exactly what industrial insulators do with sheets of aluminum going on the sides of storage tanks. It prevents oxidation pretty good.

HILROD
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I have used diluted Super Clean, or Simple Green. Not at the same time. Clean all the grease off, spray on and let it work. After it foams up and slows rinse real well with water. You might have to do it multiple times, but it will lighten it up close to new. I used it on an old dark intake and got it to look nearly new.

nancejd
03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
What about one of the aluminum wheel cleaners?

Patrick
03-16-2007, 05:16 AM
FWIW-- I used Simple Green to clean the grease off the block and then I used Eagle All Wheel cleaner. It looks very good for the minimal amount of effort.

Patrick