PDA

View Full Version : LSX into 63 Impala

carguy502
12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
I need your guy's help. My buddy was looking into doing an LS motor into his 63 impala. I know that headers will have to be made and that other fitment issues my arise. Do any of you know what I might run into on this swap. It has a TKO-600 along with a single driveshaft conversion. can I ged mounts that place the bellhousing face where a standard Gen I motor sits? He still wants to run the console. Any input would be awesome.

PRRC
12-06-2006, 07:53 AM
We can help you answering your questions.You can buy shorty headers that will work on the Impala conversion.
We like Street and Performance headers.You can also get the conversion plates for the motor mounts.
Turnkey engine supply is also a good source.
wiring. Speartech.
you will need to run the f body oil pan.
Hope this helps you get started.
Tim

Rubes
12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey Tim...I was gonna call you about some questions on this too. I'm doing an LS1 in my '61 Impala. What about accessory drives? I've got an F-body setup...will that interfere that you know of? Do you have one mocked up in your frame yet?

Rubes

PRRC
12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey,Rubes good to hear from you.Glad to see the 61 is coming along.You should be ok with the f body set up.Only problems we have run in to is low mounted accessories.ALT. or P/S .As long as they are midway up on the motor you will be fine.Only other problems we have found is with the drive by wire throttle body.Its in the way of all the aftermarket drive systems.
Post some pic's I would like to see it.
Hopefully we will both have them done for next year and we can meet up some where at a show.
Tim

Rubes
12-07-2006, 04:43 AM
Thanx for the info Tim...

Rubes
12-08-2006, 12:18 PM
here ya go carguy...I knew I seen a detailed install somewhere, just had to find it.
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstories/60biscayne/60biscayne.htm

62LS1
01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm in the process of putting LS1/6 speed out of 2002 Camaro into a 62 Belair. I used Street and Performance aluminum plates to locate the motor mounts into the frame. The oil pan clears the cross member, but not by much. I had to modify the plastic shroud around the alt to make it clear the crossmember. The A/C comp will not clear the crossmember. I converted to a 605 power steering box but then had to use a Borgeson vibration damper and shaft to hook up to stock column, as rag joint will not clear alt. It was expensive to get fuel from stock tank to engine. I'm putting mine on 'air' so I stuck with shortened two-piece driveshaft to keep from hitting tunnel in frame. Also, at present an running stock exhaust manifolds. Hope some of this helps.

Rubes
01-10-2007, 04:19 AM
... Hope some of this helps.
Thanx for the info. Yes, it does help. Keep us posted on progress or problems. Oh yeah...we want pics!!!

62LS1
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm not on the forum board much. I'm also not very good at taking pictures, even for my own records. I know I'll regret it later, as I'm building the whole thing in my garage. I get out there and start working, then think about taking pictures, but figure I'll go get the camera later when taking a break. Unfortunately, I never take the pictures. I'm in the process of putting some of it back together. I painted the smoothed firewall this weekend, even though the weather was terrible. Big mistake, as the bad weather caused paint problems. Now I resand and paint again, otherwise I'd be reinstalling the engine, front steering components, etc. this next weekend. I'll try to do better on the picture taking.

Rubes
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Thats OK, I'm not a big picture taker on my projects either, and I do always regret it.

62LS1
01-17-2007, 11:49 AM
One thing I failed to mention (major item) is that I had to cut out the transmission tunnel and fabricate a new tunnel. Not a big deal, but it makes it more than just a regular swap.

BLT2DRIVE
03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I used the Street rod style from Street & Performance , but shorty's that terminate down, and need to be between #3 cyl. and not past #5.If they sweep back at all they've got nowhere to go with the X-frame cars (59-64 B-bodies, Imp.,Belair, Biscayne) the exhaust has to turn out right away to get outside of f/rails.

longboard
03-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi Guys, I too installed an LS1 into a 61 Impala. I used stock headers, S&P brackets for the motor mounts (they are cheaper elsewhere, but I found out too late). The only accessory that doesn't clear is the a/c compressor, the alternator is fine. S&P want $700 for a bracket that places it on top (too much $$$) so I opted for a complete March system at $1,100. At this point I'm ready to mate the chassis and the body (painting done) and take it to the interior shop.

cspengler
03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
S&P also offer a set of headers that are Chromex Thermal coated for the 58-64 X-Frames. If you go to their web site and look for a PDF file on installing a LS1/T56 into a 60' Biscayne, it has alot of good info on this topic.