PDA

View Full Version : 66 'Vair

shmoov69
08-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey, is provair here yet? I have found a 66 Corvair 500 with 48,000 mi on it and it looks granny stock. It is in good shape too! How much is it worth (approximatly)? It is gold and it has gold interior.
Jimmy

TonyL
08-16-2004, 07:35 PM
provair is me. ive changed my name because im a mod now. depending on the condition vairs can go for 5-9 grand if it were a yenko stinger 10 to 12 on up. since its not a collector's type car you could probably low ball the seller, and get it for 3500.

Shay
08-17-2004, 03:24 AM
5 to 9 grand? Sound a bit steep to me. I bought my '67 Monza for around $2500. The car was in awesome shape had about 46,000 mile on the clock. Even better the guy had upgraded to the 140 engine and tossed the automatice for a 4 spd. And the guy I purchased it from was way in to Corvairs and knew what it was worth. The nice thing about Corvairs that i have found is that they are cheaper to play around with then other marks. For instance you buy a new set of coil springs you can get them from Clarks for $37.00 bucks each where as for my GTO it'll cost signifigantly more. Plus if you get in good with a lot of corvair guys in your local area, you'll more than likely end up with a lot free stuff. Had a guy 3 months ago give me 2 complete doors that are prestine. Another gave my the stuff I needed to finish my A/C system. The bargins are out there. My belief is that if you don't like to work on cars then go ahead and pay 5 to 9 grand for a car that doesn't require any and enjoy it. Otherwise save your money for the uncut diamonds that are out there. For 9 grand you could get the car and make it the way you would want it. Just spending my 2 cents.

Shay

Radio Joe
08-17-2004, 06:27 AM
Yeah 5-9 Grand sounds steep to me too. Even on ebay, a decent goes for under that.... Unless its a vert.. then 5-7 might be reasonable. I am a memeber a www.corvaircenter.com There is alot of info and good people there.

Corvair parts are dirt cheap.... even on Ebay... and they are fun to play with.

TonyL
08-17-2004, 06:58 AM
like i said, it just depends. I should have been more specific. many factors come into play. how restored is it? is it a corsa or a monza? the vast majority are monzas and are far less expencive. parts are still cheap. custom parts abound. our vair was running and went for 1000 bucks. But ive seen a couple for sale that were "done" and they went for five or six grand.

Radio Joe
08-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Tony.. You sold your Provair?!?!?!?

shmoov69
08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the info. This is the wife talking to you now....I saw the car first and told my other half all about it. It is in good unmolested shape & I think it is a deal for me. I talked to the seller today he picked it up at an estate sale because his dad uses to have Corvairs when he was growing up, but he has too many toys and his wife told hime to downsize. He is asking $2900 but told me that $$$ talks-my husband could only find one small rust spot on the passenger back fender. I want to test drive it tomarow-any thing I should be looking for or expecting? Help a fellow car chic out and convience my husband to buy me this toy for us and he can put a turbo on it. Could make it a cool daily driver for me...until winter that is.

:) Chic

TonyL
08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
oh no the provair still lives. To be clear, the corvair belongs to my brother danny. I designed the pro-touring of it. He comes onto the site often and checks in, but for the most part i was relaying most of the questions for him. The car I own is a pro-toured 73 VW super beetle. Before you laugh, understand that a super beetle shares most of its suspention with porsche 944's The fun part is putting the turbo 944 bits on.

**edit** oh, i see, danny bought it for 1000 bucks.

and look for rust under the back window around the sills of the windshield the cancer can get quite bad there.

Radio Joe
08-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Tony- Glad to hear it... I have been looking forward to more info onit. And I wouldnt laugh about the beetle... I think they are cool and my wife LOVES them... She wants one soo bad and threatens to start building it with the engine from my Corvair :attn:

Chic. Drive it for as long as you can... stop and go alot. You are looking for overheating. Not a BIG problem but can be if not handled. Check the front door jambs by the rockers for rust. Look under the car for rust or damage. Oil leaks are very common.. dont sweat them too much depending on how much work you want to do to the car.

AM/FM radio, Air conditioning, Corsa are all desirable options.

Plan to replace some engine gaskets/seals, Rebuild the carbs, flush (possibly replace)gastank and lines. Check the brake lines too.

If the car is as rust free as you say AND it runs and drives this is a decent price. Nit-Pick EVERYTHING from color to things you need to replace. Start at $1700.00 and bargain. Cars like this on ebay are going for about $2200-$2700. Parts are cheap.... You can buy a complete turbo setup on ebay for about $200.00.. sometimes cheaper.

Hope this helps!

shmoov69
08-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your help guys! Thanks also for helping my wife! She wants this thing pretty bad it seems. She has never got on and posted on a message board before. :screwy:
Well, I still haven't looked at it yet. She did however drive it the other night and said it drove good and she liked it alot. I wouldn't mind getting it if I could get it for around $2,000 and maybe put a set of wheels on it and drop it a little and maybe drive it to a couple shows and sell it for around $6,000. Is that possible or just a pipe dream? I don't know what the market is on these things. Is there much? What size tires and wheels will go without problem on them?
Jimmy

TonyL
08-19-2004, 07:11 PM
without a problem? 15x7 corvette ralleys go on easy. ive seen IROC wheels fitted. but they rubbed.. fitting larger wheels and tires becomes an issue though.

Here's (http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html) a website with all the answers youll ever need on the subject.

Radio Joe
08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Drop it a little, put on some decent wheels and give it a good cleaning and detailing... you should make some money on it.. How much depends on the market when you sell it. Post some pics if you buy it.