PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on billet aluminum wheel adapters – safe or dangerous?

68 D88
11-22-2004, 07:09 AM
…And I am referring to adapters, not spacers – ones that will allow you to run wheels like the newer 17” Corvette or Camaro rims on your older GM vehicle. I’d be looking at ones with most likely a 2” thickness to adapt a 5 x 4-3/4 BP to a 5 x 5 BP. I do know the difference between the hub-centric and the lug-centric ones. The major attraction for me is that I could run these rims at a very low cost, even with the adapter cost.

My concerns are high speeds and violent burnouts from a stepped up Olds 455 in a big B-body Delta 88 (see attachment - heavy), both of which I enjoy engaging in. Cornering maneuvers will be normal. High speeds for me would rarely exceed 100, and on the interstate I enjoy cruising a about 75 mph. The burnouts are mainly on lonely country roads and are of the usual smoke show variety, with no drag strip type hooking up.

Should I be concerned with adapters? I attended a car show this weekend and handled some and thought they might be adequate.

Q ship
11-22-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm planning on using them to run my C5 wheels on the Caprice. A few guys over at the ImpSS forum are running them with no problems on 4200+ pound cars, including one guy that does open track events. I think the hubcentric ones (both to the car and to the wheel) are worth the extra money. Make sure they are made from 6061 or better material.

68 D88
11-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Thank you Q ship. Anyone else with any information or experiences?

Martin71RS
11-23-2004, 11:19 PM
In my opinion when the wheel is bolted to the adapter it "sort of" becomes part of the wheel and should not act different from a same size wheel with the correct offset(BS)

Martin

Zefhix
11-25-2004, 12:53 AM
I think you'll be fine. check out
www.skulte.com/adapters.html

I think you'll be fine. I'm going to to corner the hell out of my car and do 160 MPH........I'll let everyone know if I break one when i'm doing it!! :D
God, that would just suck.

bookends
11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
I use a thin spacer to run draglites on the front of my 99 SS. just make sure everything is tight and it should be ok. I'd check everything periodicaly to make sure but it shouldn't be a problem.

ALLACTIONMAN
11-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Be sure to use ARP studs for strength...
Good Luck

copo69
12-10-2004, 08:40 PM
i once had a 1987 turbo nissan 300zx in 95 and it had those very adapters on them i used to run that lil car so hard and one day wham one broke at 130 mph plus in a corner sent me almost throught the windshield all the way broke my shoulder tore one toe off gave me a sjkull fracture and got me sued from the driver of the fleetwood that i came to rest on top of he was pretty broken up and suffered a heart attack. they are illegal here in california and i can speak from exp that they do crak easy and break and i wouldnt advise them i know friends who have used them and had them break lucky no one went through what i went through....

68 D88
12-11-2004, 05:21 AM
copo69,

I really appreciate your response on this question. Just for my clarification, when you wrote "those very adapters", are you referring to the 6061 billet aluminum adapters, or cast aluminum ones? Are the other cases that you cite also with the billet aluminum adapters? Is there any other details surrounding the failures that you can tell me about?

Thanks again,

68 D88

copo69
12-11-2004, 09:30 AM
well if you insist on running them id keep a close eye on them for cracks yes they were 6061 they bolted to mu axles then my wheels bolted to the adapters if your just gonna cruz with no hard or extreme driving you might be ok once again i stress keep a close eye on them for cracks or seperations . talk to your local big o les schwab americas tire or what ever you have where you live and id be surprised if they didnt try to sway you away from them . if you use them please check the condition regurly.

68 D88
12-11-2004, 02:03 PM
copo69, Thanks again.