PDA

View Full Version : dccontrol Temp "HELP"

67 caprice
12-02-2006, 06:51 AM
I installed my dccontrol as the instructions stated. The temp sensor is located near the lower radiator output hose. I would think that this is the coolest plase to read the water temp in the system.
My autometer, and FAST water temp gauges are reading the same temp. Between 200 and 210. The sensors are located in the intake manifold right next to the 180 thermostat. I think this would be the hottest place to read the water temperature.
The dccontrol is set at 180 "no jumpers" The Lincoln Mark VII fan is running at less than half speed.
Should I move the dccontrol temp prob closer to the thermostat or lower the dccontrol temp setting?

dhardison
12-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I have my temp sensor near the lower rad hose and I'm also not running jumpers. My fans come on right around 185 according to my gauge, then increase around 195, then full blast around 205. I know this doesn't really help your situation, just a validation that it can work when placed near the lower rad hose. My sensor is about 1" away from the bottom and 1" away from the side tank/hose connection. I'd try lowering the dccontrol temp setting and see if it makes a difference. If not, you may have a defective controller.

67 caprice
12-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for your input. I just think that if the thermostat opens at 180 the fans should start to turn on at 180. And the best plase to take that reading should be at the themostat, not the coolest part of the radiator.

Rubes
12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I think the premiss behind the DC control theory is that it keeps the temperature more constant, rather than just cooling off the water as much as possible and "shocking" the engine with a rush of cooler water. Thats why measuring the temp at the coolest part of the radiator makes sense. It also makes sense that the temp at the t-stat would be hotter since the water has already circulated through the engine. So, reguardless of what your temp guage is reading, the water entering the engine is always at the same temp set by the jumpers. if the water comming out of the engine is hotter the fans run faster to allow the water going back into the engine to be at the constant setpoint temp.

I too went round and round with this in my head, but I think I understand it now. With this setup, if the fans ever run 100%...your cooling system capacity is not enough for the motor.

at least thats how I explained it to myself.

andrewb70
12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
I installed my dccontrol as the instructions stated. The temp sensor is located near the lower radiator output hose. I would think that this is the coolest plase to read the water temp in the system.
My autometer, and FAST water temp gauges are reading the same temp. Between 200 and 210. The sensors are located in the intake manifold right next to the 180 thermostat. I think this would be the hottest place to read the water temperature.
The dccontrol is set at 180 "no jumpers" The Lincoln Mark VII fan is running at less than half speed.
Should I move the dccontrol temp prob closer to the thermostat or lower the dccontrol temp setting?

I actually had a similar situation. I would look at the jumper diagram and set the temperature lower. I think you will have better results if the fan starts to cycle slowly at a lower temperature.

Andrew

67 caprice
12-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I think I will add jumpers until I see the gauges read below 200

CarlC
12-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I agree with Andrew. Step down in jumper temps until your engine temperature stabilizes at your desired temperature.

I also agree with the engine cooling capacity statement. Mine almost never goes full-speed. With the current jumper setting the engine temperature at idle, where the fan is doing the air movement, never exceeds 185* with a 180* thermostat. On cool days the fan does not turn on unless the car sits at a stoplight for an extended time.