PDA

View Full Version : Painted calipers - yes or no?

dhardison
11-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Opinion question...... I'll be installing a Touring-Classics 4-wheel disc set up this winter and currently the front calipers (C5 Corvette) are black, the rears are silver.

What's your opinion on painted calipers (i.e. how do you think they look?)? I was thinking red or maybe blue (to match the car as close as possible).

Any good sources for caliper paint?

Apply with a rattle can or a brush?

TIA,
Dan

Zefhix
11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Opinion question...... I'll be installing a Touring-Classics 4-wheel disc set up this winter and currently the front calipers (C5 Corvette) are black, the rears are silver.

What's your opinion on painted calipers (i.e. how do you think they look?)? I was thinking red or maybe blue (to match the car as close as possible).

Any good sources for caliper paint?

Apply with a rattle can or a brush?

TIA,
Dan

I would have the calipers powdercoated the color you want and then clear-coated over that. Much stronger and durable than regular paint. :)

CarlC
11-20-2004, 09:18 PM
How much does painting or powdercoating the caliper affect heat retention?

Zefhix
11-20-2004, 10:59 PM
How much does painting or powdercoating the caliper affect heat retention?

Hmmm...great question..probably insulates heat in the caliper but isn't it the rotor's job to dissipate heat?

baz67
11-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Yes the rotor is the main dissipator of heat, but why would you want to hinder any heat dissipation in the breaking system?

Brian

zbugger
11-21-2004, 11:05 AM
I think the effect would be negligible. Look at how many cars come with colored calipers from the factory. Hell, even the Brembo's come powder coated. I just wouldn't chrome them. That's plain tacky.

MuscleRodz
11-21-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't have a problem with rattle can, IF done right. Rattle can paint needs to be baked for durability. I have painted many small engine parts and baked them in the oven for 30 min at 300 deg. and never had any problems. Cheap, easy to clean, have little to no heat retention, and looks as good as more expensive alternatives. Oh yeah, make sure the wife isn't home when you do this. :ssst:

Mike

Kenova
11-21-2004, 07:22 PM
..................Oh yeah, make sure the wife isn't home when you do this. :ssst:

Mike

I haven't been caught yet! :ssst:
Ken

CarlC
11-22-2004, 04:13 PM
I've had the fluid overheat in a PBR caliper. David Pozzi was with me when it happened, and he needed all new underwear after that ride.

Calipers do have to reject heat. Some have insulating sleeves on the pistons to reduce the amount of absorbed heat, but the PBR design does not. The PBR caliper does have a lot of fins, so they must be there for a reason.

I'll have to dig out my materials books and see what they have listed. Unless it's a electroplated material I don't see how it could help. Powdercoating is a polyester material and has insulative proporties. The C5 Z06 calipers are coated but I wonder what the intent was. Looks? Bling?

Paul69camaro
12-08-2004, 08:54 AM
If you absolutly want to paint your calipers there is a company out ther who makes special paints and coatings, they specialize in the piston coatings, but they have a special paint that they claim extracts (transfers) heat out of things. My neighbor who roadraces used it on his 1970 vette and he swears by it. I wish I could give you the name of the company but I'm about 5000 miles from home so i can't exactly walk into the garage. By the way thae paint is black and it has to be baked after it is applied.

Paul