PDA

View Full Version : Pypes or Spintech

Carbo
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
O.K. guys need some help. Getting ready to pull the trigger on an exhaust system for the 69 camaro. I want an aggressive sounding muffler that people will notice when I'm driving down the street. Which is more aggressive/musclecar sounding? Pypes Violator or Spintech Pro Street? Anybody hear both mufflers before?

Blown353
11-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Spintechs sound pretty darn nasty.

A friend of mine runs the Pro-Streets with 3" exhaust on his 70 Chevelle, dumped under the car, and it is LOUD and sounds pretty damn mean. They also don't resonate in the car at cruise which is pretty surprising given the volume level at idle and acceleration. They're still pretty loud when steady throttle cruising though. Another friend has the same Pro-Streets on his heavily modded 94 Caprice 9C1 cop-car, but with an X-pipe and high flow cats. They still sound very mean but the overall volume level is reduced because of both the cats & X-pipe and the pitch is higher because of the X.

However, my hunch is the car will make a little more power with the straight-through Pypes mufflers... how much more will depend on how much HP is in front of them. The Pypes will also be much more tolerable from an in-car noise perspective, but with the small 14" case I'd expect them to be a little "poppy." Keep in mind the 14" case straight through design of the Pypes mufflers means they're going to have a decent idle volume, be quite loud under heavy acceleration, but the volume level of the Pypes will calm down at cruise more than the Spintechs.

dhardison
11-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I had Spintech ProStreet mufflers with my 454 (2.5" exhaust - no H/X pipe). They sounded very aggressive when pushing the go pedal, but were tolerable when cruising.

I just installed 3" MagnaFlow stainless X-pipe system with my ZZ572 and couldn't be happier. If fit like a glove and sounds great. It has a nice low rumble at idle and when cruising, but really opens up when on the gas. I highly recommend it.

Blown353
11-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I just installed 3" MagnaFlow stainless X-pipe system with my ZZ572 and couldn't be happier. If fit like a glove and sounds great. It has a nice low rumble at idle and when cruising, but really opens up when on the gas. I highly recommend it.

Another very happy Magnaflow user here (3" inlet/outlet 18" case.) The sound is great. Very good sounding idle, pretty darn quiet cruise, and downright nasty when I step on it. I went from 14" case ultraflo's to the 18" cased Magnaflows and the greater case volume cured the occasional "poppiness" I had with the smaller cased Ultraflos.

However, as much as I like the Magnaflows for some stupid reason I kind of want to try the new Spintech side exit mufflers with the half-circle rear case (not on their website yet.)

PhillipM
11-27-2006, 09:07 PM
We have two cars that have Spintechs on them. They are a great muffler that has an aggressive but yet nice sound to them. They also sound excelent at an idle!!

69ratfed
11-28-2006, 05:10 AM
I have the 3'' Spintecs Sportsman XL. Sounds nasty at idle, awesome at WOT and I can carry on a conversation cruising down the road plus listen to my tunes.

whytry
11-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Another very happy Magnaflow user here (3" inlet/outlet 18" case.) The sound is great. Very good sounding idle, pretty darn quiet cruise, and downright nasty when I step on it. I went from 14" case ultraflo's to the 18" cased Magnaflows and the greater case volume cured the occasional "poppiness" I had with the smaller cased Ultraflos.

However, as much as I like the Magnaflows for some stupid reason I kind of want to try the new Spintech side exit mufflers with the half-circle rear case (not on their website yet.)

What do you mean by "poppy"? Are you talking about the same kind of sound you get from a newer Camaro with no cats, and a flowmaster, "kind of underwater sounding" Or big cam "poppy" I am thinking about replacing my Flowmaster 2 chambers....

Blown353
11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
What do you mean by "poppy"? Are you talking about the same kind of sound you get from a newer Camaro with no cats, and a flowmaster, "kind of underwater sounding" Or big cam "poppy" I am thinking about replacing my Flowmaster 2 chambers....

By poppy, I mean the kind of raspy staccato-type sound you often hear from old pickups with Cherry Bombs when accelerating. If the muffler case volume is too small they can't adequately absorb and tone down some of the more "annoying" sounds an engine can make.

Carbo
11-28-2006, 02:07 PM
By poppy, I mean the kind of raspy staccato-type sound you often hear from old pickups with Cherry Bombs when accelerating. If the muffler case volume is too small they can't adequately absorb and tone down some of the more "annoying" sounds an engine can make.

Yeah, but the spintechs are smaller than the pypes. Pypes are 14" and the spins are 12". So if that's the case, wouldn't both be poppy?

BTW, my engine is a 408 stroker that was dynoed at 520 hp and 520 tq.

streetk14
12-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Yeah, but the spintechs are smaller than the pypes. Pypes are 14" and the spins are 12". So if that's the case, wouldn't both be poppy?

BTW, my engine is a 408 stroker that was dynoed at 520 hp and 520 tq.

I had a set of spintech sportman street mufflers a few years ago. I thought they sounded cool overall, I liked the idle and full throttle sound of them.

I think the "poppy" sound has more to do with the muffler design than anything else. Straight-through mufflers (like dynomax, magnaflow) tend to sound poppy, while chamber style mufflers (flowmaster, splitech) have more of a metallic sound to them IMO.

I'd say you should choose based on what style of muffler you are usually in to. If you like flowmasters, I think you'll like the spintechs.

Andy