PDA

View Full Version : To Acid Dip & E-Coat or not to? That is the question!

Nutsy
11-20-2004, 11:39 AM
The Mule was dipped and e-coated. Should I? I have heard a mixed bag about it. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences.

I am going to be starting to strip down my car and wanted to know what i should do.

I have done media blasting before, but that stuff gets everywhere. I want something that is clean, and going to be the best long term solution.

I like that the fact that dipping and e-coating gets in every nook and cranny. I have heard that can be bad too though...

Thoughts?

JamesD
11-20-2004, 12:25 PM
do you know if it is available in your area, you may have to trailer you car a long ways to get it done. cars from the factory are always e-coated, so i don't think that it would be a bad idea at all. being able so seal all the places you could never get to with a paint gun is great, no chance of rust. some people say that when you acid dip parts the acids get in some places and it can't be washed out and it will eat away at the metal. but i think if the place you are going to know what they are doing they will be able to neutralize all the acid. good luck with what ever you decide.

c.schulz
11-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Had my subframe dipped and ecoated by carponets and I would highly suggest it!! Add up the cost of blasting inside and out then cost of epoxy prime and your at the same if not more.And it still wont be as good as a full on dip. Make the trip to Detroit and youll be happy.
Chris

Kenova
11-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Does anybody know of a company that can E-coat parts here in Ontario, Canada? The trip to Detroit isn't so bad, it's the hassles and BS of taking something over the border and then bringing it back.
Ken

redsand
11-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Not sure but I heard carponents went out of business. I'm sure Kyle would know. I had him take my car over to get dipped and e-coated and I love it. My body man loved it too.

It truely is like having a new car. Plus you don't have the sand or what ever you use in every nook and cranie.

F70t/a
11-20-2004, 03:10 PM
How much does something like this cost? about 5 grand or so?

Flyboy
11-20-2004, 03:16 PM
I'd like to know the same... how much, and is there a place in Vegas/SoCal that can do it?

redsand
11-20-2004, 04:16 PM
I just looked at my invoice and it was 1800. I thought there web site was ekoatking.com (Spelled wrong). But the link looks dead.

Nutsy
11-20-2004, 04:26 PM
There is a company in Vancouver BC that does it. It isn't called e-coating but it is an electrostatically charged phosphate coating process exactly like e-coating. They have done several cars before. My conern is that i have heard people saying that the acid is impossible to neutralize completely in all areas. This company does an Acid dip, a neutalizer dip, a pressure wash, and then a electrostatic coat dip.

Here is the website: http://www.redi-strip.com/page2.htm

Also i heard that the e-coat gets everywhere and goops up in small area's etc.

What about the roof? i know the mule had small holes drilled in it... does anyone know the proper process for that?

F70t/a
11-20-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm with flyboy. if anyone knows of a place. I'm in the bay area, but would travel about 600 miles tops.

redsand
11-20-2004, 06:34 PM
I was under the impression that my e-coat was electrostatically applied. I did not have any spots where it gooped up. It was clean as a whistle.

F70t/a
11-21-2004, 10:13 AM
will the e-coat get into places like the inner rockers? Mine are not rotted, but i'm sure there is surface rust from the years. I want something to take all that ooff then something to seal it so it wont happen again

Flyboy
11-21-2004, 11:15 AM
will the e-coat get into places like the inner rockers? Mine are not rotted, but i'm sure there is surface rust from the years. I want something to take all that ooff then something to seal it so it wont happen again

It should. They put the entire car on a rack and dunk it in to the tank(s). So unless it's sealed off from the outside environment, it's going to get the same treatment as the rest of the car.

F70t/a
11-21-2004, 12:15 PM
that would be cool.Now just gotta find a place hopefully not too far. Maybe we can do a group thing and get a deal :doh: j/k

Flyboy
11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
that would be cool.Now just gotta find a place hopefully not too far. Maybe we can do a group thing and get a deal :doh: j/k

Haha, yeah, i'm sure they'd go for that. :hah:

It's funny that it costs so much to get done, considering how very little effort actually goes in to the process itself. `Bout the most labor intensive thing that occurs is getting the car on the rack.

68Daytona
11-21-2004, 04:50 PM
A group thing, what an awsome idea!

But mine probably won't be ready till late next year.

Man thats going to be a haul frome Fl. Gan you say ROADTRIP.

Roger

F70t/a
11-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Ya i know, tell me about it. Really I just want to find a place that does great work. I dont want a sloppy job done and then still have acid in the car.

Ya mine wont be until at least summer of 05. Maybe if we can find a place, maybe just maybe cut us a deal? time will tell :secret:

Flyboy
11-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Ya mine wont be until at least summer of 05. Maybe if we can find a place, maybe just maybe cut us a deal? time will tell :secret:

That would be just about right for me as well, as I will be returning from Pakistan at the end of May/early June and will have some $$ to play with. I would just be looking to do my subframe though, not the whole car.

F70t/a
11-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Maybe we can get a deal from a place or something. it might work. :enguard:

indyjps
11-22-2004, 11:49 AM
the cost most likely has to do with the chemicals themselves, imagine going to the "better business bureau" or whatever in the area and telling them you want a vat of acid big enough to dip cars in. the permits to run it have got to be pretty costly. im still looking into it for my own car. any leads in the indiana/illinois area.

Stokes
11-22-2004, 03:17 PM
This probably doesn't help those of you up north and out west, but remarkably we have a redistrip/chemical dip business here in Jackson, Mississippi. My brother in law had a Kharma Gia body dipped a couple of years ago and they did a very good job...including neutralizing the acid. Their tank is huge...at the time we delivered his car, they also had a VW van and several other car bodies sitting in storage that had been dipped. I do plan on having my '67 Camaro dipped sometime in the next year. They also do powder coating.

Equally remarkable, there is another business just north of Jackson that does e-coating. I do not know much about them, but I plan on checking them out soon.

Chris

F70t/a
11-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey chris find out when ever u do about the price and stuff. if its cheap i will go to mississippi(sp).

KWIKND
11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Redi-Strip uses an Alcaline stripping process not acid. Puts a big hurt on anything not metal. Works great.
Dan

trayb
11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know of a place in Atlanta, GA that does e-coating?

trayb
11-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Hey Stokes, I am from Mississippi What is the name and number of both companies. I will truck my body there next time I go home.

thx

Stokes
11-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Here is tread from camaros.net from a few months ago with just a little info in the e-coating at Systems Electro Coating, LLC. It's located just off I-55 north between Gluckstadt and Canton (south of the Nissan plant) if you are familier with the Jackson metro area. The phone number is (601) 407-2340 or (601) 407-2355

E-Coating (http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/5670.html?)

Metal Finishing Services does the stripping. It is located in west Jackson near I-220 in the industrial park. Their phone number is (601) 355-3317. Judging by their address, this is not the same location that we took my brother in law's car.

Everything will probably be shut down tomorrow (Wednesday), but since I'm off work and it will probably be raining, I will investigate both shops. I'll report back what I find, including price estimates if I can get them.

Chris

trayb
11-23-2004, 07:14 AM
I just talked to them (Redi Strip 601-355-3317, David or Preston) and the price they gave me for my 69 Camaro was $1900. $900 for stripping and $1000 for e coating. Not a bad price considering it will cut down on the amount of work and money it will save me stripping it my self.

Nutsy
11-23-2004, 07:55 AM
So my next question is should i have it e-coated first then do the metal work (tubs, rear suspension, sfc's, firewall etc.) or should i do the metal work right after having it dipped and stripped and then e-coat it after the metal work.

According the the article, the Mule got dipped & stripped, did the metal work, then dipped again, then got e-coated.

trayb
11-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Nutsy, I would have the car dipped first then do the metal work. After that it can be dipped and e coated. Most dipping places I have dealt with will dip it the second time for free. You can always have the car blasted first, which is cheaper.

Stokes
11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
What Trayb suggested was one of the things I was going to find out. I was hoping I could work a deal to have it dipped both before and after the metal work. Hopefully I wouldn't lose too much of the actual metal doing that.

Trayb, if you do bring your car to Jackson to have it dipped and ecoated, I would really like to see it after getting dipped and again after getting ecoated. Please keep us informed here or feel free to email me [email protected] . If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.

Chris

trayb
11-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Chris, I can be reached at 404-435-2686. I am looking at bringin my car home during the christmas holidays, if I can get it disassembled and cut out the the rusted metal that I can find. :hand:

mikeschramm
11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Im the brother-in-law that stokes was talking about. I had a Karmen ghia body dipped and it ran about $900. Ive also had doors from a 57 chevy dipped and they were about $50 each. After dipping the body they perform what they call a phosphate wash were they coat the whole body inside and out with a rust inhibiting solution. The Ghia was dipped back in 1995 then preped and painted and to this date there is no body rust. Very good investment.
mike

68Daytona
11-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Stokes, I called Systems Electro Coating back in Febuary
I forget who I talked to, but he said they do parts (for Nissan) and hadn't thought of doing a whole body. He did seem interested thou, even gave me his e-mail but I lost it.

If you can let us know on the e-coat places there.

I would rather e-coat than phosphate wash.
But I am curious,how is the phosphate wash applied, is it dipped, or sprayed on?

Going to Ms sure beats going to Mi for me!
Thanks, Roger

Stokes
11-25-2004, 12:00 PM
I stopped by Metal Finishing Services (aka RediStrip) yesterday. They are the same company that Mike Schramm above took his car to, just in a different location. They are now in part of a much larger warehouse. I did not get to speak with the owner but the guy I did speak with (sorry, not good remembering names) took me on a small tour. They had several bodies (Mustang, Challenger, '55 Chevy) that had been dipped and waiting to be picked up. All nice shiny metal!! He said it is around $900-$950 for a body (no doors - no decklids).

He also showed me a 50's Chevy truck body that just had been ecoated. VERY NICE!! Metal Finishing Service dips the body to strip the paint and then trucks it to Systems Electro Coating for ecoating. He said it is usually costs the same to have something ecoated as it does dipped, hence the $1800 for both. I did not have a chance to go to Systems Electro Coating yesterday (wife!!), but I will stop by real soon.

If I can find out anything specific for anyone from either location or help set something up, feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to help out.

Chris

Stokes
11-25-2004, 12:07 PM
68Daytona,
It is my understanding that all of the processes are by dipping, including the phosphate wash and ecoating.

I forgot to add that he did mention being able to put a rush on a job when really neccessary. They could possible have a body dipped in a matter of days if someone from out state for example when they dropped it off and were passing back through a few days later. I don't know if this applied for the ecoating place though, especially now that the Nissan plant is fully operational.

Chris

F70t/a
11-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Those are good prices

68LSS1
11-25-2004, 11:38 PM
There's a place around Tampa that does this kind of thing. I had my cab for my truck done. Dipped and etched was 700.00 plus 75.00 hazmat fees. I didn't know there were different ways of doing this so I'm not sure how they do it. I bought the cab off a guy in Bradenton and had him get it done prior to him doing the sheetmetal work. He uses the place all the time. They can get busy at times and take to a month or so to get done but they do good work. I can find out the name and location if anyone is interested.

68LSS1
11-26-2004, 12:28 PM
The place in Florida is called Restoration Depot. (http://www.revivation.com/) There process is the heated alkaline solution in tank one followed by the alkaline electrolyte solution. After rinse it is etched but that's only good for about 3-5 days before surface rust starts. They have a price list here in pdf form. (http://www.revivation.com/docs/Revivation_priceList2.pdf) It's from 2002 but it's whatI paid last year. Don't forget to add 7% hazmat fee to the pricing. Ball park on frames/body's is $36/ft.
While finding their website I came across a post from another site that had some names of other companies. They are: Redi-Strip in Indianapolis IN, Roselle IL, Joliet IL, and Oak Creek WI; International Paint Stripping in Belleville MI; Kwik-Strip in Allentown PA; Metal Strip of New England in Worcester MA; Restoration Depot in Wauchula, FL; Pennsylvania Metal Cleaning in Monica, PA. It said most of them advertise in Hemmings Motors News.

68Daytona
11-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Stokes, thanks allot for the info, and let us know on the Systems Electro Coating plant.
If I do decide to bring my car up there I'll stop by and buy you a cold one!

68LSS1, There are places in Orlando and Jax that dip cars and then SPRAY on a rut preventative coating that has to be sanded off (on the outside) before etch priming.
I haven't herd of a place in Tampa? I would be very interested,if you could, pleas get there number. I'll give them a call and see if they dip or spray there coating on.
The main reason I want it dipped is because of all the panels I've had to replace(like most all of the outside), so another $2000 or so is fine with me. I live on the coast and it doesn't take long for rust to start! I only want to do it ONCE

F70t/a, man every time I read your sig I can't get that song out of my head, lol.

Thanks, Roger

68Daytona
11-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Brian, man you must type fast.
Yea, I talked to them also at a local cruse in.

Thanks for the FAST reply,lol. Roger

paulk68
11-26-2004, 02:26 PM
is it better to do your body work then go through this process because i have a 68 camaro body sitting in my garage that needs rear quarters rockers and probably other body work but it is going to sit for a while what is the best way to protect it from continuing to rust.
Paul

F70t/a
11-26-2004, 08:42 PM
F70t/a, man every time I read your sig I can't get that song out of my head, lol.

Thanks, Roger

Same here :spank2: lmao

Richz68
11-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Tell Mark that "Rich" sent ya !!!

www.redi-coat.com

Call Mark Kochanoski at 734-771-3190 or email him at:

[email protected]

He is a Chevelle guy!!! :bananna2:

mikeschramm
11-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Paulk68,
Ive seen it done both ways. Dipped before any metal body work and Dipped after all welding and grinding. When I had my car dipped I choose the later. My toughts were that once the car was dipped and the rust prevention applied I did not want to apply welding and grinding heat in the chance that I would disturbe the "metal condition". I dont know if this actually makes sence but It does to my simple thinking. Alot of people dip/strip before metal work so all the problem areas are easly visable and the metal is clean for welding. If you watch American Hot Rod on TV you see that they usually strip the body to bare metal before any welding/grinding/body work.

mike

F70t/a
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm doing all the metal work first too. I took mine down to metal first to see the problem areas. I found alot of rust i cant get to and sandblasting could not. Thast why acid is the way for me :rotfl: . I dont think it really matters which way. Has anyone found a place in south cali that does dipping and e-coating?

Stokes
11-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Has anyone found a place in south cali that does dipping and e-coating?

Forgive me for not having a lot of information because I don't have the article in front of me, but Hot Rod's current quarterly special is a Paint and Body mag. I just picked it up Sunday. In there is an article about chemical dipping at Strip Clean in Santa Ana, California (I believe that is the correct name). I will look tonight when I get home to confirm that is the correct name and if there is any additional contact information (a quick web search would probably do).

Hopefully his helps a few of you on the west coast.

Chris

F70t/a
11-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks chris. I'm doing a search right now

Stokes
11-30-2004, 03:30 PM
I just realized that will probably not help you with the ecoating like you asked...now that I think about it, the article didn't mention any ecoating. However, maybe they will know where to send you for the ecoating.

Chris

Rock Toy
12-01-2004, 03:18 PM
F70t/a, if you find a place, let me know 'cause I need to get my 67 dipped as well. I'm in SF and have not been able to find anybody that does it....

zrrigid
12-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Goggle ROCKS!! Here is their website

http://www.metalfinishings.com/ :woot: :headbang:

68Daytona
12-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Zrrigid, you rock!

Thank you Thank you!

Roger

RedAddiction
12-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know of any place for us Texas boys ?

USAZR1
12-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know of any place for us Texas boys ?

Good question. Our shop needs to find a place to strip & e-coat a 70 GTO Judge body that we're going to do a body-off resto on.
Any place closer than Mississippi for us?

indyjps
12-22-2004, 04:37 PM
couple of links i found
redistrip canada
http://www.redi-strip.com/page5.htm
article that describes how gm does their cars
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/0104sol1.html
this article references a shop in wisconsin
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/5129/
list of shops in ill, wi, fl, pa, ma
http://www.finishing.com/188/92.html
shop in plainfield (chicago area) ill