PDA

View Full Version : Smoking!!!!

Tino
11-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Well we finally got our Chevelle (Velocity) fired up and on the rollers for some tuning and after she warmed up it just started rolling smoke out of the exhaust! We figured everything was new and maybe the exhaust was just burnin a little but it didn't stop. We couldn't even see in the dyno room it was so bad. :help: We did some idle and start up tuning but it was just to bad to try a pull. Plus without knowing what it was I didn't want to hurt anything. I called precision turbo about using a restrictor in the feed line and they said it wouldn't be ness. I double checked the drain's to the pan and they both have a nice path downward. I'm confused:banghead:. Do you guys think that I may have blown the turbo seals somehow??? Or do you have any other ideas what may be going on?? I would appreciate any help!! Thanks

camcojb
11-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Well we finally got our Chevelle (Velocity) fired up and on the rollers for some tuning and after she warmed up it just started rolling smoke out of the exhaust! We figured everything was new and maybe the exhaust was just burnin a little but it didn't stop. We couldn't even see in the dyno room it was so bad. :help: We did some idle and start up tuning but it was just to bad to try a pull. Plus without knowing what it was I didn't want to hurt anything. I called precision turbo about using a restrictor in the feed line and they said it wouldn't be ness. I double checked the drain's to the pan and they both have a nice path downward. I'm confused:banghead:. Do you guys think that I may have blown the turbo seals somehow??? Or do you have any other ideas what may be going on?? I would appreciate any help!! Thanks

what size feed lines did you use? I know on the Lightning turbo kits (T76) we had to reduce them to #3 (from #4) to get them to control the oil past the seals.

Seems the #4 feed lines just gave too much volume, and overpowered the seals.

Jody

Tino
11-26-2006, 09:02 AM
We are using #4 lines. I guess I can just put a restrictor in the line right?

Turbo Hen
11-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Yup you'll need to use a restrictor....some people use a nitrous jet, or you can buy the whole unit from Ebay, built in restrictor on the oil flange.

What size return line are you using?

-Carm

Tino
11-26-2006, 05:12 PM
-12 on the return. So do I need to get them resealed or just put in a restrictor?? Or both?? Thanks, Tino.

shmoov69
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Restrictor and check the returns again. ; )

myclone
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I called precision turbo about using a restrictor in the feed line and they said it wouldn't be ness.

Since you called PTE Im assuming you have a turbo(s) on this application? If so then you very well may need the restrictors (PTE sells them) and IIRC the GT series requires the restrictors due to the exact problem youre describing.

I havent personally ran into this issue yet but Im still running an older style Innovative turbo at the moment but I do have a GT42 waiting to be installed and the vendor informed me that the GT would need the restrictor or "it'll smoke like a freight train".

HTH

Tino
11-27-2006, 03:44 AM
So I guess my question is do I still need to pull off the turbo's and reseeal them? The damage is already done correct??

camcojb
11-27-2006, 07:44 AM
So I guess my question is do I still need to pull off the turbo's and reseeal them? The damage is already done correct??

I had a twin turbo under-car setup where the scavenge pump quit and smoked like it was on fire. I fixed the pump and the turbos were fine. Their seal was actually like a ring and was not damaged.

I did have to pull the entire exhaust system off though and hang it up vertically for 24 hours to drain the oil out.

Jody

J2speedandcustom
11-27-2006, 07:45 AM

No worries had this happen many times. The turbo seals are like piston rings so sometimes the boys at Precision don't get them "seated" completely. The first chance you get put about 5-10 psi of boost through the turbo and it should seal right up. I had one 74mm take about 3 pulls on the dyno to quit smoking completely.

Oh and since you exhaust is now oil'd down on the inside it will smoke a little until it's burned off....

myclone
11-29-2006, 05:58 AM

I agree with J2speedandcustom in that putting some heat and some boost through them will probably clear up the smoking issue as long as youre not throwing too much oil at the seals and overwhelming them.

Ive seen this on turbo apps that sit around for months on end without being started (my Syclone for one). It will smoke like I left the piston rings completely out of the motor when fired up after sitting for a long time but after a hand full of 15psi 0-~80mph pulls it clears up. I guess the seals get a little dry, shrink, or whatever and require some heat/flogging to bring them around. Scared the pewpy outta me the first time it happened since I saw $$$ for a turbo rebuild coming out of the exh but it cleared up after some driving so all was good again.