PDA

View Full Version : DSE Firewall Filler plate Any TIPS? Install tomorrow...

Wildthing
11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I am installing my DSE Filler plate on the firewall tomorrow.

So far, from searching this Forum I have seen these helpful tips:
1. Weld all the way around in short bursts (To minimize the amount of heat)
2. POR 15 the back of the panel.
3. Grind the lip off the original heater hole prior to install.
4. Use liquid nails on the back of the panel to minimize vibration (???).

Any thoughts on these tips? Any other good ideas out there?

BTW what is the best way to remove the factory seam sealer?

MrQuick
11-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I am installing my DSE Filler plate on the firewall tomorrow.

So far, from searching this Forum I have seen these helpful tips:
1. Weld all the way around in short bursts (To minimize the amount of heat)
2. POR 15 the back of the panel. After welding...paint will do too.
3. Grind the lip off the original heater hole prior to install....you can hammer flush too
4. Use liquid nails on the back of the panel to minimize vibration (???)...or just run a strip of dynamat.

Any thoughts on these tips? Any other good ideas out there? sounds good so far...you can trim a bit over size,flange the opening then weld the plate in for a nice flush mount.
BTW what is the best way to remove the factory seam sealer? heat gun set on low or a hair dryer set on high and a scraper

Wildthing
11-24-2006, 08:36 PM
...you can trim a bit over size,flange the opening then weld the plate in for a nice flush mount.

Please elaborate. Trim what/where and flange which opening? (Are you talking about removing the firewall behind where the DSE panel goes and completely replacing it with the DSE panel?)

I was planning to attempt this with the fenders on the car ( I was planning to seam seal the inch or so I couldn't weld behind the fender, and remove the inner fender). ...Should this only be attempted wtih the fender off?

BA.
11-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Wildthing, dude, you have the most serious looking, heavy duty shelves I've seen in a long long time.

Nice car btw. :)

Wildthing
11-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Wildthing, dude, you have the most serious looking, heavy duty shelves I've seen in a long long time.

It's Pallet Racking, like in Home Depot. Find a company going under. Go to their Auction. Good price is about $50 a section. A GREAT price is $25 a section. ...Thanks!

Tom Welch
11-25-2006, 11:23 AM
What about panel bonding the filler plate to the firewall? I made mine out of aluminum and bonded it in place. Then smoothed the firewall with fiberglass cloth and a little filler here and there. Epoxy primer inside and out, done.

Steve1968LS2
11-25-2006, 02:18 PM
What about panel bonding the filler plate to the firewall? I made mine out of aluminum and bonded it in place. Then smoothed the firewall with fiberglass cloth and a little filler here and there. Epoxy primer inside and out, done.

Yea, we used that epoxy from FUSOR.. that stuff seriously bonds the metal together.. stronger than a weld..

It's Pallet Racking, like in Home Depot. Find a company going under. Go to their Auction. Good price is about $50 a section. A GREAT price is $25 a section. ...Thanks!

I will have some for sale soon.. three sections for $25.. you have to come pick it up though.. lol

Beats trying to throw it away.. yikes..

rocketrod
11-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Yea, we used that epoxy from FUSOR.. that stuff seriously bonds the metal together.. stronger than a weld...
I have been thinking about using something liek that on my firewall. Is this the same stuff? If so, how did you clamp it in place until it dries, or did you just hold it.

Wildthing
11-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I am welding it (Finish tomorrow). Got it all fabbed up then figured I needed some .025 wire for the MIG. Didn't have it. Had to go get it.

I cleaned out the seam sealer (a heat gun and flat head screwdriver work great). I placed the DSE panel in place and traced around the non-seamed area (Where it crosses the flat of the firewall). I used a grinder and cut the firewall along the trace-mark. That will allow the panel to fit flush with the firewall. It fits up really nice with these mods. Pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the idea Mr. Quick!

Tom Welch
11-25-2006, 09:38 PM
We use Fusor to fill body seams and to bond panels and for a seam sealer in places under a car that have been spotwelded like wheelwell opening seams, works good, I tried to pull apart 2 scraps I bonded the first time I used it. The sheet metal twisted and eventually tore, Fusor held fast. It stinks, so it must be good.

qwik1320
11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
It stinks, so it must be good.

:naughty:

Wildthing
11-26-2006, 09:18 PM
OK. Mixed results.

1. The installation on the firewall where there is no seam went VERY well. It looks like original. (I thought this was going to be the hardest part). Cutting the firewall for the Non-seam edge, inserting the DSE panel then fillet welding the two worked very well. A little difficult with the MIG (always burning through) but with patience and lots-o-grinding that portion came out really well.:razz:

THEN I got cocky.

2. I tried to fillet weld (fill) the top seam as well. It didn't work so well. I tried to weld it and couldn't fill it to my satisfaction. As my friend (Who stopped me from further destruction) pointed out: If you just tack the top portion and fill with seam sealer there is the nice (un-molested) edge of the DSE panel. HOWEVER, if you try to weld it (as I did) you booger up the edge of the DSE panel then it looks funky without extra body work. :banghead:

Attached are pictures.

The first picture (DSEPanel Cut process) shows the cut (in process)along the firewall that I made to flush mount the non-seam area.

The second picture (DSEPaneltacked.jpg) is of the DSE panel tacked in place (I should've left it alone and seam sealed).

The third picture (DSEPanelUglyweld.jpg) shows the ugly welds. Mostly ugly from all the starting and stopping (keeping the welds cool so they don't burn through the thin sheet metal).

The fourth picture (DSEPanel Ground.jpg) shows the panel ground. While it looks nasty, the welds traveling down the firewall are really smooth and ground out nice. They will be unnoticeable when sanded and painted. The weld along the seam at the top of the panel...who knows, jury is still out. I stopped trying to continuous weld the panel and ended up just tacking it down (moving right to left) for a later application of seam sealer. The DSE panel sticks out about an 1/8 of an inch more than the firewall by design, this would prevent a completely flat firewall even if a fillet weld were achieved between the DSE and the firewall.

Lots of grinding. I would recommend cutting the firewall and inserting the DSE panel then running short bursts of fillet welds followed by lots-o-grinding. I would also recommend a more conservative approach of tacking and filling the top (seam) of the panel.

I will post pictures after paint (a couple of weeks) if anyone is interested.

Part Time
11-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Wild Thing, Your filler plate install looks good.

At the risk of jacking this thread....

Tom, Do you think fusor would work for a DSE deep tub installation? I have been thinking about using it on the flanges between the deep tub and the out side wheel house.

Part Time
11-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Hmmmm. Guess I'll have to start a new thread.

Steve68
11-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Whistler did it with 3M Panel bond, tubs that is,

Tom Welch
11-30-2006, 06:51 PM
As long as you can secure the tubs in place while the panelbond cures it will work. No distortion or burn through to worry about either. This stuff is an excellent alternative to welding if the equipment or skill isnt available. I wouldnt say that it can relpace a good welder. But it works great on sheet metal.

6'9"Witha69
12-01-2006, 09:24 AM
The guys on TRUCKS did a rusty sheetmetal patch job on the S10k project using a panel bonding stuff instead of welding. Looks like it would work well.

Part Time
12-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the advise.

Wildthing
12-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Scheck it out...

Final pictures. I ended up just painting that section so I could photo the final look. :smoke: Came out pretty fine...

restomodbird69
12-17-2006, 04:26 PM
looks good,i also used the dse filler on my firebird.

Wildthing
12-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey! You welded the whole thing in as well as the seam across the dash! Looks great. I was tempted to do that but eventually chickened.

Do you have any after pictures? I would like to see a pic of the finished firewall if you have any...

Thanks,
W

Ricoch3T
01-16-2007, 06:03 AM
Quick question, what do yall do on the inside? Leave the old hole? Is it noticeable from the seat?

BA.
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Looks Good Wildthing!

Richoch3T - I can tell you that it isn't visible from the seat. I didn't do anything to my hole there other than to spray the bare metal to keep it from getting any surface rust.

Ricoch3T
01-17-2007, 05:50 AM
cool, thanks, I don't have any seats in my car right now and I got to looking at it. Hopefully I will be installing it soon and it will look as good as the one in this thread :1st: