PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen camaro fuel tank on first gen

jsconiers
11-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Putting an LS1 into a 68 fire bird. While complaining about the cost (~1100) of a new fuel tank setup for the ls1 I ran into a guy who has a second gen camaro with the ls1 swap. He used a stock 4th gen gas tank. So the question is has anyone done a gas tank swap? Does any one know the dimensions of the tank or how they differ? I prefer not to run a fuel cell or pay 1K to DSE for their LS1 gas tank. Wish I knew some one that could modify a regular gas tank. Thanks in advance....

BonzoHansen
11-24-2006, 09:37 PM
How did he pull that off with the filler neck in a totally different place?

jsconiers
11-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I have no idea. he did a third gen swap and a 2 gen swap. Both used the 4th gen gas tank.

KoolKruser
11-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Boy you would think just getting an aftermarket tank would be easier and save some $$.

trapin
11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Wish I knew some one that could modify a regular gas tank. Thanks in advance....

There's a company called Rock Valley that will do this for you. I think it's around $500 bucks. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

68firehawk
11-27-2006, 09:31 PM
There's a company called Rock Valley that will do this for you. I think it's around $500 bucks. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Yep. I recently purchased an inline pump/baffel/sending unit setup from them for a little less then $400. They will build it to your specifications. Then all you have to do is weld it in and your good to go.

Jake

trapin
11-28-2006, 03:56 PM
I think this is them....

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/

Tennessee Auto
12-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Boy you would think just getting an aftermarket tank would be easier and save some $$.

Agreed.. I had a customer use the 99+ plastic tank in his car. He bonded the filler neck to the new location, and made a block off for the old one. I just hate the hummmmmmmmmmmmmm of the external pump.

billybobdupree
12-13-2006, 06:14 AM
Rock Valley will convert your (factory)tank to an internal pump tank for you, for about $500. This will consist of them installing a walbro internal fuel pump(high pressure 255lph) and a spiral shaped baffle surrounding it.

Tanks Inc. will sell you a pump assembly (walbro also) that drops into a hole that you cut into your tank.The assembly has it's own baffel tray. I beleive it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-$350.

I chose to cut and modify my tank myself, on my 69 camaro.
I have installed full length baffles and a spiral shaped baffle around the fuel pump, which is a walbro 340. (overkill maybe, but what the hell:twothumbs ). I am using the factory fuel sending unit(90 ohm) but I have moved it over alittle in order to get the pump closer to the aft center of the tank. I will have step by step pics to post when I am done as well as all parts and part numbers used.
I'm not saying that it's the best way to do it, as there are many ways, but its my way after getting inspired from others methods.

jasonsnova
12-24-2006, 06:25 AM
i'm considering a ls2 swap into my 71 nova, wouldnt a inline pump with the correct pressure work just as well? i know thant most of the a/m supercharger systems come with a inline pump????

jsconiers
12-24-2006, 06:30 AM
If you have a return line on your current gas tank you can buy a 1999 corvette fuel pressure regulator and external walboro pump for the conversion.

cudaman
01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
When I put an LT1 into my 69, I cut a square hole in the bottom of the gas tank, rinsed it REALLY well, and tig-welded in a sump from Competition Engineering (~$60 if memory serves). About two hours of my time, excluding repaint. You could weld a bracket in the sump for an internal pump prior to installing, but I chose to use an external pump and have had no issues. My car is loud enough (although not that loud at all) that I don't hear the pump, anyway. The accessibility is obviously much better, although I doubt it will last as long as an internal pump, which is cooled better. I've run the car hard with less than 1/8th tank of gas and had no starvation problems. The sump is not very big and only hangs down a couple of inches below the rest of the tank. Oddly enough, I actually like the look of it from the rear of the car, which I wasn't expecting.