PDA

View Full Version : Need help in picking air wrenches and equipt!

stang97
11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I was over at sears a few days ago and was trying to make sense of all the air tools that they have. Everything has different ratings and im a tad confused on what to get. Can anyone make any reccomendations on a impact gun and Air rachet for the garage?

What kind of specs should I consider when buying these 2 tools? Also how many gal. compressor tank is decent to have? I was thinking 30-40 gal tank would work, am I correct??
Heres some links to what i was considering.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Tools+%26+Equipment&pid=00919905000&vertical=AUTO&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

and

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Tools+%26+Equipment&pid=00919919000&vertical=AUTO&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

-derek

mikey
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Ingersoll Rand is always a decent choice for impacts and air ratchets. I would highly recommend Macs 3/8 drive air ratchet it's a little pricey for home use only though $300 but it has 90-100 lbs of torque. I say the same for Snapon 1/2 impacts mine has become the shops favorite for frozen nuts and bolts.

stang97
11-24-2006, 08:34 PM
thanks for the help. WHere can I find the air tanks and compressors at??

mikey
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Home depot and lowes sell some decent compressors. You might also try tractor supply farm&home ect. I would get at least a 60-80 gallon tank you will eventually need it if you start getting real sick with this hobby thing. Mine is a 80 gal 6hp 2 stage that puts out 175psi and 25+ cfm with 2 of us useing it it will keep up easily. Thats probably more than you need but I do alot of bodywork at home for others so it was needed. Basically buy the biggest you can afford and look at the cfm it puts out and compare it to the tools you are thinking about. Nothing sucks more than having a nice air tool with a compressor that won't keep up!

Steve68
12-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Stay with name brands, IR etc, Harbour Freight, is junk, I have a IR 1/2" gun and a Matco 3/8 composite gun, both are excellent,