PDA

View Full Version : Getting some work done.

nitrovette
11-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Well im starting to make some progress,i got the first of the base coat on ,i used c5 sebring silver and electronblue and mixed it till i got a light blue metallic base and put a few coats over entire car.Actually is a nice color,then tomorrow ill wet sand that out and thanksgiving morning ill apply the final coats of electronblue over it then clear it.I was gone to use the sebring silver only but i did the door jambs and didnt like it so i made my own mix, the electronblue will cover alot easier .I can see the light again at the end of the tunnel .Then start color sanding and buff it then start installing the c5 seats back in and the new autometer guages i just picked up and get the boyds bolted back up .All just in time for winter to start.

http://home.comcast.net/~pats73vette/Picture_1088.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~pats73vette/Picture_1091.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~pats73vette/Picture_1090.jpg

TheRoaringEagle
11-20-2004, 02:39 AM
looks awesome!!! I like it looking satin though!

JamesD
11-20-2004, 12:20 PM
that color looks really good. did you say you were going to wet sand the whole car before the clear? i think you are only supposed to wet sand out very small areas in the base like a run or if a bug got trapped.

68protouring454
11-20-2004, 01:08 PM
james you can wet sand the base, but it needs to be re-coated before clearing, also nitro watch out for re-coat times with whatever paint you are using, basecoat is generally 24 hrs before scuffing or scothbrite is needed, goodluck, looks nice
jake

nitrovette
11-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks Guys, ive been painting for 15+ years,i do custom harleys,flames,ghost flames etc....thats only a light base i sprayed.Its getting covered in electronblue then cleared.I only sprayed that as a guide coat to make sure everything is straight and a good solid base before i continue.

projectPONY
12-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks Guys, ive been painting for 15+ years,i do custom harleys,flames,ghost flames etc....thats only a light base i sprayed.Its getting covered in electronblue then cleared.I only sprayed that as a guide coat to make sure everything is straight and a good solid base before i continue.

so basically the only reason you shot the base is to see if it was truly flat? Is that a metallic? I've heard that you can't wet sand a metallic base.

yody
12-04-2004, 08:23 PM
that last picture with the back corner of the car loooks really good. Looks like great body work! whats up with the hood htough, looks a little off, Darn fiberglass hoods!! what year vette is it? I have always really like the early ones! what kind of motor? woops nevermind just read your sig. Does yours have the chrome bumpers?

nitrovette
12-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks,The hood isnt closed, its up ,its my original hood that i cut along the factory lines raised it to 4 inch and reglassed it back togther.Its a 73 ,the 73's only had chrome bumpers in the rear and rubber in the front,im changing the front bumper to fiberglass though.Curretnly running tpi but looking to swap over to a ls-1 next year, ihave too much on my plate right now(baby coming,house addition)to use the cash for that.
And i havent had one minute to to get back to painting it,now im down and out with kidney stones.