PDA

View Full Version : My first track day at the Streets of WIllow!!

cakneller
11-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Well, I finally got my car out to the track. And all I can say is YEAH!! :headbang:
It was a blast. I have been working on the car for what feels like forever and it seems that there's always something I still have to do, but it was at a point that I felt comfortable to take it out. I had recently installed the hotchkis bilstein shocks to match the rest of my suspension and they transformed the ride/handling of the car. I had previously had on KYB's. Also, I've switched from power brakes to manual with Baer brakes and that made a huge difference as far as consistent pedal feel and linear braking. It takes more leg, but I'm getting used to it. The other thing I was concerned about was my steering it is a fast ratio box but has a really light feel and I don't have a cooler. I was really amazed that it felt great at speed and wasn't too light. I kept a close eye on the PS and it did ok. I'm definatly going to add a cooler berfore the next track day.

The day itself was interesting the group was through SpeedTrials USA. I went with a buddy of mine who has an M3 and he ran in the advanced class I ran in beginner as it was my first day out in a long time and it was a shake down for the car. Most of the people there were driving imports; lots of STi's, Evo's, 240sx, couple Lotus Elise/Exige, 1 CTS-V, several M3's, mkV GTI, Civic Si, etc. Overall it was a well organized day with a decent amount of instructor time and some open track time. It was entirely too easy to pass on the front straight. What a blast!! The car did really well and I drove home in traffic with no problems. At the llimit it understeered a little and the Kumho Ecsta MX's were great especially for the price.

I can't wait to go again and it really taught me alot about the car and how much I have to learn.
Here's some photos!!

JLM
11-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Very nice. Looks like you're doing pretty well.

I can't wait to retire my Cobra (yeah right, that'll happen) and start open tracking my Firebird.

6'9"Witha69
11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
That is what it is all about!! Glad to hear you had fun. The shakedown runs can get you hooked real fast. Congratulations

ProBell
11-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Congratulation's!!!! It only gets better as you get more seat time and learn the track better. Its a good feeling passing BMW,s and Porsce,s in old GM iron.
Randy

JLM
11-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I'd say it's a nice feeling passing BMW's and prosches in nearly any domestic! Hooray for the driver mod.

BA.
11-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Good Times!!!! :cool:
I've done that on my sportbike, but not in a car yet. Bet you had a great time!

David Pozzi
11-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Looks nice, hope you can run with us some time. It seems there is always be just one more thing you need to do to it.
David

MrQuick
11-24-2006, 07:28 PM
...sweet, welcome to the track. time to buy an in car camera!

Ron S
11-25-2006, 07:04 AM
That looks really fun,what track is that?There trully is nothing cooler then watch the old trans am era cars going around turns. Ron

MrQuick
11-25-2006, 06:26 PM
...Willowsprings just out side of Lancaster...north of LA.

CarlC
11-25-2006, 09:53 PM
It seems there is always be just one more thing you need to do to it.
David

Ain't that the truth.

Congrats on being hooked.

cakneller
11-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the posts!!! The WillowSprings complex is really cool. While we were on the Streets course they were racing vintage iron on the main course.
Saw some cool first gens, vettes. cobras, mustangs, etc. That made the day
even better.
I look forward to seeing everyone out at the track!!

Also, just FYI, I ran Cragar steel 8's 17x8 because my rears 17x9.5 rub on the inside in hard conering. The cragars with 245's weighed 59lbs. vs. the Vintage 45's 275's 49lbs. That's a huge weight difference 10lbs. a wheel!! But the cragars were cheap.

mpozzi
11-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Come on up to Laguna Seca for Green Flag Driving's Open Track day on December 23rd. We live close by and can offer a place to keep your car/trailer that's safe. If there's a bunch of P-Ter's that are coming to the event, we'll all get together the night before for some fun and dinner.

Get on www.greenflagdriving.com for more information. As far as I know, there's still room.

Mary Pozzi

cakneller
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I'd love to go, but I've got family coming in for the holidays. I hope to be up there some time soon though!!! I've been driving that track entirely too much on Xbox.

Thanks for the offer!!
Chris

PhillipM
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
That Laguna Seca day sounds tempting. I have been trying to get over there to do another track day but school and other commitments have gotten in the way. How much further north is Lagun from Willow Springs??

Damn True
11-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Laguna Seca is in Monterey, CA. 706 miles from Mesa, AZ.

ITLBTU
11-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Come on up to Laguna Seca for Green Flag Driving's Open Track day on December 23rd. We live close by and can offer a place to keep your car/trailer that's safe. If there's a bunch of P-Ter's that are coming to the event, we'll all get together the night before for some fun and dinner.

Get on www.greenflagdriving.com (http://www.greenflagdriving.com) for more information. As far as I know, there's still room.

Mary Pozzi

Would a 4th gen Camaro be ok? Or would you turn your nose's up at me? :scared: My '69 will only go straight right now...

PhillipM
11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
wew thats a little bit much for a track day:(

I would rather trial against a 4th gen camaro over those Mazdas, Toyotas, and Subarus any day of the week!

mpozzi
11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Your fourth gen would fit in just fine and you're definitely welcome to come and run with us. Check the website for dates, locations, and all the other pertinent information.

Mary Pozzi

David Pozzi
11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Be warned that the sound limit for Laguna Seca is 92db, the sound measuring mic positioned is aprox 50' from the pavement edge outside of turn 6.
David

ITLBTU
11-30-2006, 04:30 PM
My Camaro is basically stock, so I shouldn't have to worry about noise. I didn't see anything on the cost though. I have a friend with a convertable Porche, would he be able to take that if it doesn't have a roll bar?

mpozzi
11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Your friend with the Porsche should be fine but check with www.greenflagdriving.com to make sure. There should be some contact numbers and/or emails you can inquire to.

If I remember correctly, Laguna Open Track day prices are just that - pretty pricey. It costs a lot more to rent that particular track (have no idea why??) so the participants have to join in financially to play. Green Flag doesn't make a lot of $$$ on this date and tries to keep the cost at the bare minimum. I think I paid $300 for the day.

It doesn't cost a cent to come spectate although the Monterey County Parks might charge a small admission fee to enter the track. It's about $5 or so.

Hope to see you there,
Mary P.