PDA

View Full Version : Racing/track driving section?

Salt Racer
11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
With some cars being completed and running, there are more people taking their cars to strips, OT events, etc. I've done an OT event myself recently. It was the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a car, and there's a really good discussion going on at Multimedia section right now.

That brings me here for a suggestion: How about Racing/track driving section? It includes drag/bracket racing, road racing, OT events, autocross, open road racing, land speed racing (there are events where you can run your street car), etc. We can discuss stuff like driving techniques (lines, launch methods, etc), what track is good for beginners, Tech rules, etc. Although it may overlap with other sections, I don't see why we can't discuss stuff like good tires, pads, etc based on 1st hand experience backed by hard numbers (ETs, lap times).

Video clips/pics such as JonB posted in Multimedia section are great learning tools. An experienced driver should be able to give some pointers from video clips, and pics really help on track susp. setups (which are different from street setup).

We can even start PT.com challenge series! (pipe dream...)

The section probably won't become really active until more people start getting involved in the sports, but I hope that the direction this board heads towards. It should become a big part of Pro Touring, IMO.

Just a thought...maybe in the future?

derekf
11-19-2004, 07:22 PM
I like it.

However, me liking it plus 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Waffle House (tip not included).

But if it came to a vote, I'd vote yes.. with the provision that street racing stories of any sort be not permitted.

David Pozzi
11-19-2004, 10:41 PM
The existing event section could handle race talk, and the suspension section the suspension part, but I do like the idea of a Road Race/Autocross section that would handle discussions on those events, problems that arose, driving, tuning, etc.

The problem is we don't really want to duplicate what is allready available...
David

Salt Racer
11-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Derek, David,
Agreed. We already have a lot of sections...

So Road race/autocross section sounds good to you guys? The section dedicated for stuff and issues strictly related to road racing (incl. OT events) and autocrossing, and no street racing type stories permitted.

Should I turn this into a vote?

Steve Chryssos
11-20-2004, 01:58 PM
I think it's a good idea. The future of Pro-Touring will weigh heavily on stats, results and group participation. So while the forum may already cover a wide range of topics, this idea is still important. Perhaps the events topic needs a more descriptive name. Include the words Track Days, etc.

David Pozzi
11-20-2004, 02:28 PM
"Events" is allready labled to accept track events. It isn't exclusive of other non-track events, but there really aren't many other posts there to get in "our" way.

I'm just trying to figure a way to shift things around so we don't create too many sections, I think we allready have quite a fiew sections.

Salt Racer
11-20-2004, 02:41 PM
EDIT: Oops, never mind. David editted his plan a little bit.

David Pozzi
11-20-2004, 07:18 PM
SR,
Yeah, I kept thinking of things to add! :)
What do you think? Keep using "Events" for on-track discussions, or ask for a new Track-Only section?

Ralph LoGrasso
11-20-2004, 08:15 PM
I think a track only section would work well. I could create a thread stuck to the top that contains lap times from various tracks that member's have visited, and a brief description of their setups. It would be a "database" of sorts for members to compare lap times and setups. I'll also create a 1/4 mile thread.

Lets leave this thread running a few days and see if there is any opposition or other suggestions for the new section, and then I'll create it, pending the outcome (positive).

David Pozzi
11-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Ralph,
That sounds good, maybe you can move over some of the old posts from the Events section that are track related too.
Another way to do it would be to rename the existing Events section for racing, and add a new non-racing Events section.

What name?
1. Track Events
2. Speed Events
3. Road Race/Autocross

You should probably rename the Events section to Events - non racing.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-21-2004, 01:15 PM
David,

Good point. I'll rename the current events section to non-racing events, and reword the description as well. If there is no opposition to this, I will try and create it tomorrow night, or Tuesday as I'm out for most of the day/night on Mondays.

Salt Racer
11-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Cool!! Thanks much, guys! :icon996:

P.S. Dig your new sig, David :smoke:

David Pozzi
11-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Ralph, Sounds good! :)

Salt Racer, Yeah, I added a pick of the lola, us yellow cars rule! ;)

Ralph LoGrasso
11-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about the new section. I'm currently having some computer problems.

dennis68
11-25-2004, 03:06 PM
I saw this a little differently. I was thinking leaving "events" as it is and being reserved for upcoming things to do including motor sports events. The second section being reserved for actual experience from track events (no spectator analysis or "guess what I saw this weekend", that should be reserved for open discussion).

David Pozzi
11-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Denny,
I'd rather see all the racing events in one section, both future and present, non-racing events in another.

Another option would be to put the track event talk into the Suspension section, make it a Suspension/Track Events forum.

Q ship
11-28-2004, 06:40 AM
Denny,
I'd rather see all the racing events in one section, both future and present, non-racing events in another.

Another option would be to put the track event talk into the Suspension section, make it a Suspension/Track Events forum.

Suspension is already one of the busiest sections, why add more to it? I like the former idea David, racing events/non-racing events. However it happens, I look forward to seeing some of you guys out there by mid-'05!

Ralph LoGrasso
12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Hey guys,

The new forum should be up and running after this weekend. Sorry for the delay but I think you'll be happy with the updates.

Salt Racer
12-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Cool!

No apology needed for the delay. I wasn't in hurry anyway.

Appriciate all the time and hard work you guys put into maintaining this forum.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey guys,

The new forum is up and running!

Go here: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64