PDA

View Full Version : Help with rear suspension on first gen (firebird)

gtolou
11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I am new to forum - have already done much reading.

I recently purchased a 69 firebird project. The previous guy removed the old non-boxed rear frame rails and placed Competition engineering rails. These are well inward of the original rails.

I called CE - they tell me that these rails are made to be welded to their weld-in subframe connectors. I bough some and the link has pics of them. It all seems reasonable SO FAR.

The connectors have a mount for the front of leaf springs (pic) and the new rear frame rails have a hole where shackles for the rear leaf mount. This seems to be the EASIEST way to go.

The leaf spring mounts on the axle housing and upper shock and lower shock mounts will have to be moved inward. I have not found the CE tech-line to be of that much help. Anyone w/ first gen knowledge using CE stuff would be great. (My frame/welder guy that I have found locally wants to remove the rails and put in a new rear suspension kit. Its a street car with target of 500hp or so.)

P.S. - tried to get pics small enough to post - had to post them on this site. Thanks, Lou

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2723393#post2723393

67bird
11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
The CE stuff requires you to use their upper shock crossmember (or something similiar), and possibly a set of traction bars that allow the shocks to be moved to the inside. The CE stuff is directed more at the drag racing crowd, but I don't see why it couldn't be used on a PT car with some mods. Personally if the work looks done correctly, I would run it.

MrQuick
11-20-2006, 11:06 PM
the rear frame struts should have been instaled with the subframe connectors. those sfc's sit up pretty high in the body.

The SFC mount in then install the leafs and set up the rear frame to match. If it lines up then roll with it.

astroracer
11-21-2006, 04:56 AM
If you use the CE rails (and there is no reason you shouldn't) box the front leaf spring mount into the front of the rear rail very well. You want the rail to carry the load and not the subframe connector. This is one reason I generally use Alstons rails over the CE stuff. The front spring mounts are already built into the rear rails.
As far as shock mounts go check out a few of the roundy-round suppliers like Speedway or A&A. They can provide new weld-on components like axle perches and spring pads to get your leaf springs and shocks tied back into your axle.
When you are building the front spring mounts get some dimensions off another F-car from the rear shackle hole to the front spring bolt hole. You don't want to deviate from this dim by too much to keep spring loading and articulation in the correct range.
I can get you some numbers if you need them.
Mark

gtolou
11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Great stuff you guys. I am pretty happy with how the SF connectors engage the rear frame rails - I will remember the comment about making sure the front leaf "load" is more on the rear rails.

CE makes a kit to re-locate the upper shock mounts - I can get a link. Also, I know I can buy a new set of leaf mounts that are welded to the axle housing. ?? I am not sure on the lower shock mounts - I think CE has a kit for that. Most of the CE upper/lower shock mount kits look like they need a lot of fabrication, etc.

Other ideas for the shock mounts would be appreciated. Love to see pics of any elses set-up using the CE rear rails and welded SF connectors. Thanks all.