PDA

View Full Version : PT '78 Malibu

69 panel
11-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Hello guys,

Here is my Malibu. As you can see it has a glass Montecarlo front end from VFN. A custom steel roll pan out back. Lexan windshield and side windows. Up front chassis mods are a notched front cross-member, Hotchkiss upper control arms that allow me to use 12" Cadillac "A" body spindles, calipers, and rotors. Re-inforced lower control arms. a 1 & 1/8" sway bar. All urethane bushings.

Out back a four link with a wishbone track locator with a 7/8" rod-linked sway bar riding on bronze pillar blocks Koni coilovers. The third member is a Chrysler 8 & 3/4'' with a reinforced housing. 4:88 posi. A 15 gallon foam filled fuel cell with sending unit and a Optima battery fed with a 140 amp GM CS alternator from a Cadillac.

The six speed transmission is tied to the rear end with an aluminum drive shaft. Lakewood bell housing with a Mc Cleod hydraulic throwout bearing and flywheel with a Centerforce dual friction disc and pressure plate.

The motor is a a .030 over forged piston 454, a Competion Cams rollercam, crane roller lifters, Crower 3/8" push rods, Crane roller rockers, Isky ultra-rev kit. Lightly massaged GM square port heads, Comp Cams springs and retainers. Gm steel crank, polished rods with ARP bolts. Four bolt GM block with ARP studs. GM windage tray and trapdoor oil pan. Melling HV oil pump with .050 restrictors for the upper galley, which was deburred and polished with screened returns and magnets. Oil feed holes drilled in the front of the lifter galley to lube the B&M gear drive. Fluidamper harmonic balancer. CSI electric water pump. Radiator is a Howe aluminum two flue with Nissan Maxima electric fans. The intake is an open plenum Cutler Enterprises with a Kinsler throttle body. The injectors are Lucas disc-type 43.5 lb. per hr. A Haltech computer controls fuel delivery. An MSD-7-AL with a blaster coil with an on dash advance/retard control. Cyberdyne rich lean gauge with heated O2 sensors in the Super Comp aluma-coated Hooker headers. The engine was blue-printed and balanced.

It has factory A/C and a stereo casette and bucket seats form a Toyota Tercel wagon. A late model Camaro console. Autometer tachometer, water temp. and oil pressure gauges. It has a six point cage from S&W with drop-out side bars.

I proud to say I built everything and did all body and paint work at home except the transmission which was purchased new from Rockland Gear. It's due for a re-paint soon as I'm sick of the graphics and they date the car as to when it was built. I hope you like it.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

malibu9in
11-19-2004, 05:30 PM
looks more like pro street to me.

69 panel
11-20-2004, 08:27 AM
malibu9in,

looks more like pro street to me.

I appreciate your input even if it wasn't exactly the response I wanted to hear. It's better than no response.

I could have set up the four link for straight line traction and sacrifice cornering ability; as well as no sway bar up front with 90/10 up-lock shocks and softer taller front springs but I didn't want a Drag only car. It has 4:88 rear gears but the rear tires are 30" tall and with the six speed having two overdrives I didn't have to give up the big end for good acceleration. I haven't made an all out top end run but it was still pulling hard at 130 when I ran out of balls and I was on a public interstate at 3:00 AM. The math says it will top out at 160 if I don't run out of motor or balls.

With the exception of A/C I did everything I could to save sprung weight. No guard rails in the doors. Aluminum tubs and door panels and rear floor boards and bulkhead through to the trunk area. Mar- Guard lexan flush mounted windshield and side curtains (no wiper motor but rain-x works fine for me), shaved door handles and drip-rails and a glass front end. I could have bought a Malibu front end but it wasn't as aerodynamic as the Montecarlo. The Malibu front end would have been a simple bolt on but I chose to change the body lines on the Montecarlo front end to make it fit. You might look at them side by side some day and see how different they really are and if you have ever worked with glass you might appreciate my efforts.

Maybe I'm not understanding what "PT" is.
I am under the impression the spirit of "PT" is to build a car that accelerates well, big top end, handles corners well, and stops well. My car does all four better than most.

Am I wrong; have I missed something?

Q ship
11-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi 69, (name?) well part of the confusion may be from the "look" of your car-it definitely looks more pro-street than pro-touring. The front tires appear to be way skinnier than the rears, the 4" hood, and the graphics(which you already addressed)....well, I try to stay open minded but my first thought was "pro-street". It's a very nice car, and I (and I'm sure most others here) can appreciate the amount of work you have put into it. I especially like that you did all of it yourself! With that said, there may be a disconnect between our definitions of street car vs. race car(with a glass front end, 15 gallon fuel cell, etc, yours is pretty far out there) and p-t vs. straight line performance.

Don't get me wrong, you're definitely welcome here, it just seems a stretch to call your car "pro-touring". It seems much more biased to straight line racing than, say, road course work. I hope you stay and participate, reading the differant opinions of the people here has helped me form up what I want from my car when it is finally off jackstands. Stay and learn (as we all have) and hopefully teach us a thing or two!

69 panel
11-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Q ship,

Thanks for the explanation and your input. The name came because I have a 1969 Chevy panel truck. It's bagged and lowered. You guys probably wouldn't like that one either.

As far as the front tires; yes they are skinny. I have some eight inch wide V rated tires mounted on the same style rims. I took the pictures just after returning from Atlanta Dragway, ergo the skinnies up front. I wanted to see what it would turn. I went 12:41 @ 111 and overall mileage to and from the track including three passes was 17.8 mpg.

I suppose I could put 18" wheels or better on it with low profile tires but I have done that on another vehicle and I didn't like the harsh ride. I'm sure that sacrifices some cornering ability due to sidewall flex but I'm getting long in the tooth and prefer the better ride of tall sidewall tires.

Like you mentioned, the graphics have to go but as I stated earlier it was in vogue at the time it was painted last. I felt I would regret them at the time but I let some buddies influence my decission.

I also regret the 15 gallon cell but when I first designed the back half I didn't allow enough room for a larger cell. It's changeable but it will be a relatively huge project as I sunk the cell in a steel pan with small tube frame work because it hangs relatively low and needed protection. The optima battery also sits as low as the fuel cell and is likewise protected.

It's Ok with me if people don't think my car handles well but I know it does. It's Ok that you apparently don't like the paint, I don't either but that is easily changeable for me.

Again thanks for at least making a comment.

zbugger
11-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey there 69 panel. Yes, the paint dates the car. Fugly in my opinion, but like you said, it was in vogue at the time. I like what you did with the front end though. Looks great!!! The rear however is a different story. I may be biased though, being that I own a big bumper Camaro.... Anyway, yes, Pro-Touring is all about upgrading an older car to new 'Vette like abilities. I remember seeing a Pro-Street looking S-10 truck that can easily handle itself on a road course not too long ago. You can make anything handle good. I, for one, would love to see what your car can do. And believe me when I tell you that I'd definitely have the balls to see what your cars top end is. Do you have any pics of the rear suspension though? And please don't take offense to any of the questions you may recieve here. It's not done with any harmful intent. We just like good tech and information. I hope you enjoy your stay here. Lots of great guys here.

socalfandabodys
11-20-2004, 11:27 AM
I like the look of the monte carlo ss front clip on that malibu body. I have been thinking getting a late 70's early 80's malibu. They have alot of potential. I must say though I am impressed that it gets 17 miles per gallon. Keep up the good work. I too have seen that pro touring s-10. I think its a mid 80's and a long bed. It was in Hot Rod not too long ago

Bill Howell
11-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey,
As a bu owner myself I see a difference in taste but like someone has already said, build it to suit your taste not someone else. When I joined this site and asked questions, someone recommended Tony Huntimer's book intitled "How to build and modify GM PRO-TOURING street machines". I have found it to be the "bible" of PT. I still plan to build my car to suit me but have gotten alot of insight from the book and here as to actually what PT is. The good thing is there is no set rules and we learn from each other here. Personally I would like to see the Panel pictures. You have to know that I may not be normal though. While most people Pro-Tour 69 camaros I chose to leave mine stock and Pro-Tour my malibu. Anyway welcome aboard and stay tuned.
By the way, If you were in Commerce,Ga. , where are you at? I assume Ga or Tn or.... Also names are nice. Hard to address someone as 69 panel :spank2:

69 panel
11-20-2004, 04:10 PM
zbugger,

I don't have any pictures of the back half but I'll try and take some the next time my son comes over, probably over the holidays.

46YearOldKid,

Here's a link to my web page. Go there and click on photos and my panel is there as well as some other things mechanical that perk my interests.

http://home.comcast.net/~agfosteriii/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Regards to all, Bert Foster (Conyers, GA)

Bill Howell
11-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Bert,
I am from Macon originally and have a uncle in Conyers. The panel may not be PT but will be sweet when finished. :bananna2:

blazer4corners
11-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Nice toys ,if everybody had the same intrests this world would be pretty damn boring.Keep up the good work and maybe we all can learn from your experiences.Personally I like the Bu' but I like different things.

gmachinz
11-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the sight Panel! I am trying to finish a pt '78 Monte Carlo before starting work on my '86 Monte SS-I love these body styles!! However, I have to ask and please don't take this the wrong way-but only mid 12's? I assume it must have way more potential given your top speed potential, right? Anyway, I think your car is more pro-street than pro-touring but I applaud your do-it-yourself effort! And as far as your bagged panel truck, I'd love to see pics-there has been some discussion as to the benefits/drawbacks of a bagged suspension in terms of handling-I'd like to see some numbers on it. -Jabin

69 panel
11-21-2004, 09:20 AM
gmachinz,

I'm not bummed by your question. I'm OK with mid 12's It isn't bad on street tires through the mufflers and cats.

Yes cats, I had to because my state inspection station required them at the time and I was driving this car on a regular basis at the time, a couple of years ago. I haven't checked the requirements lately but a friend said they aren't necessary any longer and I should have waited a year. Great news after spending $300.00 plus bucks on those exhaust chokers. I bought 3" high-flo catalytic converters. I can't remember the brand for sure but they are local and I think the brand is Flo-tech. The cats definitely slowed the car down. I don't have hard numbers but seat of the pants told me it was slower.

It's quieter now as well. That part I don't mind so much it was pretty loud with two chamber Flow-masters. I thought about pulling the mufflers and just running the cats but that wouldn't pass emissions either so I'm told.

I'm really tired of the government kissing butt with the tree huggers. My well tuned engine puts out less emissions than are allowed for a 454 or a small block that was available for 1978 but that doesn't matter for some reason to the feds.

My site address is in an earlier post. You can see my Panel truck there. Thanks for your input.

RatMalibu
11-24-2004, 05:37 PM
welcome Bert.......what are the future plans for the car? heh I like any Malibu that is saved from the roundy round guys and the crushers........alot of people have given me fluff about my choice of car, engine, suspension, etc. but hey...its mine :headbang:

I'm not a big fan of the monte front end on one.......but there are alot of peeps out there that like em, I guess thats why they sell lol and as far as your rear treatment it fits well with the front.....kinda funny if you still had the stock bumper hanging out after making the front all aerodynamic :)

the thing that screams "Pro-street" to me is the lexan side windows and sheetmetal interior

69 panel
11-25-2004, 06:22 AM
RatMalibu,

what are the future plans for the car?

Re-paint and lose the graphics. (that I worked so hard to design and lay-out several years ago)

I like any Malibu that is saved from the roundy round guys and the crushers........

Like you say the short, dirt and asphalt, tracks around here are loaded with them. Makes me sick. I also have a bone stock '78 Malibu that I saved and fixed up for my daughter to drive through out high school. When she graduated I took it back when I bought her a new Cavalier. (Hey, it's what she wanted)

Her old Malibu is in the wings waiting to become collectable. I believe that these little boxes will be greatly sought after someday soon, particularly the '78's because they were the first year of the last full frame Chevy 2 dr. I think they will be as popular as the "tri-fives" in a couple of generations from now.

I like your red Malibu. Got any more pictures of it and some spec.s?

LOWAGON
12-03-2004, 12:45 PM
I love Malibu's...well I have 2 lol

Nice truck, I love bags.

I think you need to make the Caprice wagon into a pro-touring wagon.

Oh yea, got any plans for the wagon?

68BNUT
12-03-2004, 02:23 PM
All this talk about malibu's makes me miss mine I used to have an 80 Malibu classic. Man I loved that car, probably cause I had it in high school and it saw a lot of action on many a dark road ahahahha :rolleyes5

69 panel
12-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Lowagon,

I've been doing a little of this and a little of that to the '94. I fixed a bunch of things wrong like the A/C, rear wiper and cruise control. It's sporting an Impala grill and a smooth rear roll pan. Installed a Z-28 analog dash cluster. (Hated the flickering digital cluster) Added a 160 degree thermostat. Corvette fuel rail covers. I had the CPU tweeked by Bryan Herter at www.pcmforless.com to shift firmer and lose the top end limiter and bump the timing up a little. Also 8" rallye wheels. Hotchkiss rear sway bar and an "F" body front sway bar. KYB shocks all round. Cold air induction and true duals. A Howe two flu aluminum radiator. 9C1 oil cooler and trans cooler.

Next project on it will be a 9C1 or Impala SS steering box and urethane upper and lower control arm bushings and a Buick drag-link and the big idler arms. I love my wagon it can haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the rear. I especially love startling 5.0 mustangs.