PDA

View Full Version : Rust grinding in tight spots

JoshStratton
11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
I have cut out a 4 x 10 inch rust spot on my rear quarter. The problem, is that there is another panel directly behind it that is about an inch and a half away from the top one. I need to figure out how to grind down the underside of the top panel so I can weld the patch without the grime being sucked into the welds. I have a grinder, air sanders and dremmel. Any ideas how I can get into that area to grind off the crap?

Here is a picture of another car that is pretty close to what I am talking about. On my car, it would be the equivalent of grinding the underside of the green panel.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/11/drivers_rocker_rustJPG-1.jpg

qwik1320
11-19-2006, 06:35 PM
What about using a 3M rust/paint stripping disk you put on the end of a drill. Chuck it up, stick it in the hole and use the back side of the pad to clean off the crap on the back side of the panel. Depending on how much room you have you may only be able to clean off an 1" or two but that should be enough to patch up to.

jvest
11-19-2006, 06:48 PM
If you can get the gun into this area, I'd suggest sandblasting. You can get a $20 or $30 suction type that works ok for small areas. If you have access to the back of the inside panel you could use a thin (.035) cutoff wheel to cut three small slits to fold up a window. After you've completed the blasting you can fold the window back down, dolly the fold, weld and grind smooth.

You could use a chemical wash to clean this area also. Make sure what ever you do, that you coat the cleaned area with something(weldable primer near weld areas and por-15 on other areas)

As long as you remove any paint, undercoat and rust from the weld area it shouldn't suck anything else into the weld.

I'm not sure if that answered your question, but I hope it helps.

Jim Vest

mikey
11-19-2006, 10:17 PM
I second the 3M strip and clean disc. I think that trying to blast it would result in too much of a chance in blasting yourself in the face.

JoshStratton
11-20-2006, 05:04 AM
You can get a $20 or $30 suction type that works ok for small areas. If you have access to the back of the inside panel you could use a thin (.035) cutoff wheel to cut three small slits to fold up a window. After you've completed the blasting you can fold the window back down, dolly the fold, weld and grind smooth.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I thought about trying the blaster and the cutting the slits is an interesting idea. I have access to that panel from the top, through the trunk, but I am not sure if I can reach any tools down there.

I think I will give the 3m disc a try and see if that does the trick, before I try anything else. It's the cheapest method :)

muthstryker
11-20-2006, 12:01 PM
what about a dremel tool with that extention peice they sell its a little bigger then a pencil so that might work they having sanding and grinding stuff for the dremels

JoshStratton
11-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I might give that a try next. I got my grinding discs and will try that first.

mikey
11-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Never thought about a dremel with a flex shaft they make all kinds of kool attatchments. I might have to pay more attention to some of the stones ect. for some tight spots myself. They're underpowered for alot of stuff but in a real small tight spot might be just the ticket.