PDA

View Full Version : Best WG location

TT402LS1
11-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Im setting up my twin turbos on my LS1. I was wandering what is the best location for the WGs? Ive seen alot of set ups, and all of them has been differnt. Does the WG have to be a curtin disstance from the collector? And does the exit side of the WG need to be a curtin lenght before it dumps back into the down pipe??

Thanks - Ron

64duece
11-19-2006, 10:10 AM
The ideal location is off of the collector before it enters the turbo. If you have adequatly sized gates, adding some tubing to get it out of the way shouldn't be an issue.

I try to keep the exit angle of the tube in the direction of flow if possible. I've done a couple at 90* from the collector without issue though. If your trying for low boost or have smallish gates, it's more important to have that area designed well.

As for plumbing it back in, I would try to re-enter the downpipe at some angle less than 90*. Your application and fit will likely dictate how long the gate outlet needs to be. If your gates are sized properly, you shouldn't have any issues.

TT402LS1
11-19-2006, 01:29 PM
My turbos are 62mm. WG's are 38mm. I was looking to come off the collector at 90* to the WG. which Then mount the WG directly to the down pipe.(a few inches from the turbo exit) Or is it better to have the pipe off the WG enter the down pipe at a location further away from the turbo?

viper11
11-19-2006, 01:40 PM
if you have the room something like this might work
jason

TT402LS1
11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Is it OK to come back into the DP that close to the turbo exit? Can I mount the WG on the DP?

viper11
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
i was limited to where i could put the wastegates so i tried to make the transitions as angled and smooth as possible
i think the problem arises when the wastegate dumps at 90 degrees immediatly after the turbo disrupting the exhaust flow,
jason

64duece
11-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree, where he's entering isn't very close, especially at that angle. Looks nicely done :twothumbs

I wouldn't recommend dumping into the downpipe at 90* no matter the location.